Waste Certification Team Manager - 93239
Organization: EH-Environ, Health, & Safety
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory is seeking an experienced Waste Certification Team Manager to join the Environmental, Health, and Safety Division (EH&S, http://www2.lbl.gov/ehs/). This position will provide strategic, programmatic and technical management and leadership to the Waste Certification Team in the Environment, Waste and Radiation Protection Department (EWRP). As part of the Waste Management leadership team, this position will apply technical expertise in independent, creative and effective ways, to plan, direct, evaluate and manage the functional activities of assigned staff that design and implement waste management characterization and certification programs at Berkeley Lab.
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced waste management professional to join the Environment, Waste and Radiation Protection (EWRP) Department and work with a high-caliber EH&S team to support science and operations at Berkeley Lab, while building a rewarding career with a highly regarded research institution.
What You Will Do:
• Provide expert-level managerial, technical leadership and formal supervision to assigned members of the Waste Certification Team to ensure alignment with goals across the wider organization.
• Coordinate and oversee all activities in Waste Certification, including the development of programs, procedures, evaluations/analysis, work authorization documents, reports, permits, and quality assurance planning and training. Oversee the classification and certification of waste to ensure safety and compliance to meet on-site TSDF and off-site TSDF WACs and DOT requirements.
• Maximize integration and collaboration between the Waste Certification team with the Environmental Services, Waste Management and Radiation Protection teams, as well as the wider EH&S organization and teams in other Operations Divisions.
• Ensure accurate and appropriate performance management of employees, including review of technical competencies and ability to meet established goals and objectives. Recruit, train, mentor, and develop team members, recognize meritorious performance and ensure a cohesive and integrated team. Develop staffing and resource utilization plans.
• Apply strong technical competence and understanding of waste management characterization and certification programs requirements, industry standards and practices to establish and pursue independent courses of action and make sound recommendations to supervisor to ensure customer service, regulatory compliance and programmatic assurance and quality.
• Manage and act as internal regulatory authority for assigned EWRP technical programs, including overseeing, managing and implementing all aspects of a proactive and compliant Waste Management Characterization and Waste Management Certification programs. Identify and procure vendors as necessary to provide program support; oversee procurements and act as technical representative for vendors supporting assigned technical programs.
• Respond to and lead the response to on-site emergencies; investigate and report incidents; act as on-call duty officer for the Hazardous Waste Handling Facility when assigned.
• Lead the application of Integrated Safety Management principles throughout assigned areas.
• Advise Department line management on approaches to address and resolve operational and/or regulatory matters and minimize liability risks to customer Divisions and Berkeley Lab.
• Maintain a close relationship with all Laboratory stakeholders, Department of Energy (DOE) regulators and external regulators. In close coordination and conjunction with assigned EWRP Department Functional Leads and SMEs, liaise with internal and external regulators to assist in the resolution of complex waste management issues.
• Provide cost-effective, customer-focused, service-based technical consultation to ensure compliance with DOE prescribed orders, applicable laws and regulations, and best EH&S management practices.
• Review all applicable draft DOE rules, orders, standards and implementation guides and applicable new environmental laws and regulations at federal, state and local levels, and provide impact analysis and advice to the EWRP Compliance Quality and Assurance Manager and the EWRP Department Head on significant developments and impacts as appropriate.
• Act as the Waste Management Certification Team Leader as described in Berkeley Lab’s RCRA Part B permit for the Hazardous Waste Handling Facility.
What is Required:
• Advanced degree in Physics, Chemistry, Health Sciences, Engineering, or Public Health and 10 years of relevant experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience in the management and implementation of complex technical support programs, such as waste management, environmental and/or radiation protection programs (e.g., Bachelor's degree and 15 years of relevant experience).
• Minimum of 5 years of supervisory or team leadership responsibility and demonstrated ability and experience in leading interdisciplinary and diverse EH&S teams in technical area. Knowledge of successful HR/staff management practices and ability to plan activities, oversee performance of work, and feedback improvements into the work performance.
• Expert understanding of applicable technical processes, federal, state, and local safety regulations, including extensive knowledge of applicable federal laws, including Department of Transportation, Resource Conservation and Recovery Act, Emergency Planning and Community Right to Know Act, and Toxic Substances Control Act, and their associated regulations and other pertinent federal, state, and local regulatory requirements.
• Ability to manage complex tasks and conflicting priorities, particularly direction, management, organization and planning activities related to waste management. Proven ability to analyze and solve challenging and complex technical problems as well as develop and present briefings and reports to senior management.
• Excellent written communication and interpersonal skills and independent decision-making abilities and ability to provide a leadership role in group processes.
• Proven ability to provide technical consultation and problem-solving support to customer Division(s) in the development of solutions and standards relative to new processes and technologies in a dynamic research environment.
• Proven ability to act as an internal regulator, directly supporting responsible managers in the implementation of their technical programs.
• Ability to deal with various regulatory organizations and exhibit sensitivity when dealing with community issues.
• Ability to meet and maintain qualifications for access to Berkeley Lab’s Hazardous Waste Handling Facility.
• Ability to perform the physical requirements of the position, including: routinely lifting and transporting 40 lbs; frequently bending and stooping; standing and walking for 4 to 6 hours per day; and up to 4 hours per day of hand use (e.g., fine manipulation, keyboard/mouse use, simple and/or power grasping).
• Successfully pass routine medical examination and applicable training, such as Respirator Fit Testing, formal HAZWOPER training, and other related emergency response training.
• Experience working at a RCRA Part B permitted TSDF.
• Knowledge of project management, planning and budgeting.
• Knowledge of DOE contractor assurance, quality assurance and compliance assurance management requirements and expectations.
• Applicable professional certification.
• This is a full-time, career appointment, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
• This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
• Work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://220.127.116.11/counter.php?id=211172 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Based on University of California Policy - SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program and U.S Federal Government requirements, Berkeley Lab requires that all members of our community obtain the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as they are eligible. As a condition of employment at Berkeley Lab, all Covered Individuals must Participate in the COVID-19 Vaccination Program by providing proof of Full Vaccination or submitting a request for Exception or Deferral. Visit covid.lbl.gov for more information.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA, https://diversity.lbl.gov/ideaberkeleylab/) and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments. Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Lab's mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Equal Opportunity and IDEA Information Links:
Know your rights, click here (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm) for the supplement: Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision (https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/PayTransparencyNondiscrimination.html) under 41 CFR 60-1.4.