- Title: Lead Medicinal Chemist
- Location: Sydney, Australia - relocation is possible
- Reports to: Chief Scientific Officer
- Start date: ASAP
Psylo is focused on the development of new chemical entities based on the emerging therapeutic potential of classical psychedelics. We are seeking an energetic, creative, and experienced medicinal chemist to work closely with our CSO on the design, synthesis, and lead optimisation of small molecules targeting the 5-HT system.
The ideal candidate will have extensive practical experience in modern synthetic organic chemistry and associated analytical techniques, demonstrable experience in drug discovery, and a competitive track record in the academic or private sector. The key responsibilities of this role are the design, synthesis, and analytical characterisation of new molecules for pharmacological evaluation in vitro and in vivo.
- Design and iterate new molecules based on structure-activity relationships.
- Synthesise targets using modern organic chemistry techniques.
- Isolate and purify compounds by flash chromatography, recrystallisation, preparative HPLC, and other methods.
- Confirm identity and purity of synthesised compounds using NMR, MS, IR, and other relevant techniques.
- Accurately document experiments and ensure ELN records are current at all times.
- Maintain batch-level digital inventory of chemical libraries using drug discovery software.
- Maintain a safe and productive laboratory environment.
- Work collaboratively with the CSO and other team members to advance multiple NCE programs to IND filing.
- Contribute to the writing of project proposals, research grants, patents, and scientific papers.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
- Ph.D. degree in organic chemistry or medicinal chemistry.
- Competitive track record of publications/patents/grants in drug discovery.
- 5+ years of synthetic organic chemistry lab experience.
- Strong theoretical and practical knowledge of synthetic organic chemistry and the ability to design and execute complex multi-step syntheses.
- Excellent communication, organization, and time management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot and problem solve.
- Capable of working independently and as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Experience with the pharmacology of GPCRs, 5-HT receptors, neuropsychiatric disorders, or psychedelics is highly desirable.
- Skills in computational chemistry supporting drug discovery (cheminformatics, molecular modeling/docking) are desirable.