Battelle is seeking an Analytical Chemist (Chemist I) to work in Inorganic and Radiation Analytical Toxicology (IRAT) Branch, Division of Laboratory Sciences (DLS), National Center for Environmental Health (NCEH), Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC), in Atlanta, Georgia. As part of the DLS mission, the IRAT Branch provides high quality data for the analysis of clinical samples from various domestic and international studies to assess inorganic and radionuclide levels of individuals or populations. The applicant will provide much needed support for analysis and development of methods which test for trace and toxic elements in biological samples. Salary will be determined based on education and experience. The selected applicant will have to obtain and maintain a CDC security clearance. Relocation support is not available for this position.
- Implementation and assistance with development of inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry (ICPMS) methods for the analysis of biological samples for trace and toxic elements, including lead, arsenic (total), and uranium, in the Elemental Analysis Laboratory (EAL) of the IRAT branch.
- CLIA-approved laboratory methods will be implemented, modified, validated, and documented.
- Laboratory methods will require setup, use, maintenance, troubleshooting, and optimization of ICPMS instrumentation, automated / robotic liquid sample preparation systems, and related general laboratory equipment within a cleanroom BSL2 setting.
- Work will involve implementation of quality control (QC) and quality assurance (QA) processes per CLIA'88 regulations and DLS policies and procedures.
- Analysis of biological samples will be reported electronically in a laboratory information system and by email, and method development activities will be summarized for lab leadership in both informal and formal reports, verbal and written.
THE FOLLOWING IS REQUIRED
- B.S. in Chemistry or related science with 2-5 years’ experience and or M.S. with 0-2 years’ experience.
- Experience (6 months+) with routine, trace, multi-elemental analysis of biological samples, such as urine or blood, by ICP-MS in a CLIA-regulated laboratory environment.
- Able to perform routine and independent operation and maintenance of ICP-MS instrumentation.
- Experience (6 months +) with solution and standards preparation and processing data with MS Excel.
- Experience evaluating bench QC results using modified Westgard rules and writing reports based on the evaluation of the latest scientific peer-reviewed literature.
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
As a condition of employment, Battelle will inquire about COVID vaccination status, and in the event that vaccinations are mandated at a work location (including client site and Battelle sites) we expect all candidates to comply with these required safety protocols.
Battelle is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. If a reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact email@example.com.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, veteran-status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable Federal, state, or local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
Link to apply: http://adtrk.tw/tp/rj6_NaEkJ.e-K