Founded in 2018, Westlake University is a newly established research university located in Hangzhou, China. Chemistry faculty is a part of School of Science, housed in Yungu campus and Yunqi campus. Westlake University provides a highly collaborative and collegial atmosphere. The mission is to create a cultivable environment for bright minds of faculties and students to solve the most challenging, fundamental, and transformative problems in science and technology. The School of Science consists of faculties of Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics. Chemistry at the School of Science is committed to fostering inclusive excellence in a variety of research and teaching activities. Our current research laboratories cover all area of Chemistry, with collaborative ties to School of Life Sciences and School of Engineering.
Additional information about the School of Science can be found at
About this search
This search is open to candidates in all broadly defined area of Chemistry (organic, inorganic, materials, biological, chemical biology, physical, theoretical, analytical, etc). Competitive candidates should have a Ph.D., an outstanding record of research accomplishments, an innovative future research plan, an ability to achieve teaching excellence at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, and a commitment to fostering a diverse and inclusive community in the practice and teaching of science. The successful candidates will be expected to have a promising research and publication agenda, teach graduate and undergraduate courses, and a commitment to university service and public outreach. Westlake provides an inclusive environment for all employees and welcomes applications from candidates of diverse background.
Multiple positions are open at all ranks:
Tenured faculty: Associate Professor, Full Professor, or Chair Professor
- The applicant should have world-class academic achievements and hold tenured Associate Professorship (or above) or equivalent positions in world-class universities or research institutes.
- The applicant promises to work full time at Westlake upon acceptance of the offer.
Tenure-track faculty: Assistant Professor or Associate Professor
- The applicant should have a doctorate degree.
- The applicant promises to work full time at Westlake upon acceptance of the offer. The first appointment will be five years.
Salary, Benefits and Start-up package
Each faculty member will receive an internationally competitive salary and a fringe benefits package that includes a generous housing option, a high-end medical care plan for the entire family, etc. These benefits have been designed with references to those of the research private universities in the US.
Each faculty member is provided with an internationally competitive start-up package that includes sufficient research funds, ample laboratory space, excellent equipment, and research support. Stable financial support safeguards every research project that is designed to push the envelope of human knowledge.
How to apply
Applications should be submitted electronically to email@example.com. In the subject line, please indicate “Name + Research fields”. The email should include the following materials in a single PDF file (file name as last-name_first-name.pdf):
1. Cover letter: rank of the position that you apply to, overview of the goals/vision of your research program, your most significant scientific accomplishments, a summary of experiences and qualifications that position you to achieve your goals;
2. Curriculum vitae: a complete list of publications should be included;
3. A detailed statement of research accomplishments (maximum of 1 page) and future research plans (maximum of 6 pages);
4. For junior candidates who apply to tenure track assistant professor positions, 3 letters of reference should be arranged to be sent by referees directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will begin reviewing applications on December 15, 2021 and will continue to consider applications received after this date until the positions are filled.