Summary of Position:
The CPE/HP Laboratory Manager is responsible for the operations of the High Pressure (HP) laboratory & the Chemical Process Evaluation (CPE) Laboratory. This position drives the standardization of laboratory testing in the US to conform with the test methods practiced at DEKRA laboratories world-wide and ensures that all US labs operate in conformance with safety practices and regulations. Prepares strategic investment plan to grow revenue and profits in the CPE/HP testing business.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
· Maintain a strong safety culture and supporting systems that ensures the safety of execution of test and the safety of site personnel conducting testing.
· Maintain the continuous improvement culture across the firm to achieve profitability and performance objectives.
· Prepares information for monthly management meetings, as required.
· Prepares information on forecasted and monthly financial performance of the team.
· Proposal preparation for standardized and custom tests
· Design, construction and maintenance of customized, high pressure and high temperature test apparatus to ASME, NFPA, OSHA and company codes and policies
· Report preparation
· Test execution
· Laboratory Data analysis
· Site Safety Manager for the Princeton, NJ location
· Supervisory Management of lab personnel, including technicians, chemists and engineers
· Build strong teams with a common vision. Effectively engage team in problem solving, decision making, and communication. When barriers are beyond the team members’ control engage to assist removing barriers.
· Leverage team members’ skills to deliver client excellence, enhance client satisfaction, improve quality and increase event profitability.
· Manage the overall workload within department.
· Conduct regular department meetings to inform employees on updates and changes with the systems or business
· Cultivate a department culture that develops highly engaged employees.
· Orient, coach, and develop team members.
· Establish career development path and requirements for new and existing employees to expand their skills, responsibilities, and contribution to the overall success of the company
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
· Expert knowledge of chemical reaction hazards and testing to characterize chemical reaction hazards (DSC, Reaction Calorimetry, Vent Sizing Package, Accelerating Rate Calorimetry)
· Knowledge of computer data acquisition
· Expert knowledge of data analysis
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Expert knowledge of ASTM, UN/DOT, and other standardized test methods
· Expert knowledge of local, state and national safety codes related to laboratory operations, including NFPA, OSHA, ASME and CGA.
· Ability to work cooperatively among different groups and organizations within DEKRA and use influence to accomplish goals.
Required Education & Experience:
· Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering
· Minimum 10 years’ experience in managing industrial laboratories
· Experience managing multidisciplinary team of engineers and scientists
· 2+ years’ experience with effectively leading and managing teams and individuals
· Extensive experience with high-pressure and high-temperature reactors
· Extensive experience with high-pressure gas handling systems
· Ability to lift 40 lbs
· Able to be fitted for and qualified for use with a respirator
· Ability to move and conduct work with full range of motion.
· Extended periods of computer-based work
· Ability to be on feet (standing, walking) for extended periods of time
· Domestic and/or international travel required, estimated up to 5%.
· Travel to other DEKRA facilities, clients, or marketing events.