Organic Chemistry Laboratory Coordinator
University of San Francisco
USF Hilltop Campus
Organic Chemistry Laboratory Coordinator
The Department of Chemistry at the University of San Francisco is seeking a full-time staff Organic Chemistry Laboratory Coordinator. Under the supervision of the Director of Technical Staff and Instrumentation Specialist, the Organic Chemistry Laboratory Coordinator primarily facilitates the delivery and development of the undergraduate organic laboratory courses in the Department of Chemistry.
Full Job Description:
Responsibilities will focus on facilitating the delivery and development of laboratory courses in the Organic Chemistry curriculum, including:
• Acquire the reagents, small equipment, and supplies necessary for executing experiments in the teaching lab.
• Set up and take down reagents, equipment, and supplies for weekly experiments.
• Be available during laboratory sessions to help with troubleshooting and replenishment of reagents and supplies.
• Maintain the instrumentation for the labs to ensure facile use by the undergraduate students (FT-NMR, FT-IR, and GC-FID, etc.).
• Assist faculty in the implementation of new experiments for the laboratory curriculum
• Work with both the Lab Safety Manager and faculty to ensure that lab exercises, reagent preparation, and waste disposal are carried out using requisite safety protocols.
• Ensure the organization and cleanliness of the lab prep and teaching spaces.
• Hire, schedule, and supervise student lab assistants to help with the responsibilities outlined above.
• Coordinate student enrollments in Organic Chemistry I and II Labs
• Manage routine maintenance of the NMR (daily parameter checks, ensuring shim maps are up to date, ordering and filling with cryogens (liquid N2 and He), etc.) and conduct user training on the NMR.
Additional duties may include:
• Work with the Instrumentation Specialists to repair and/or bring in expert help for service and repair of instruments
• In conjunction with the Chemistry Stockroom Manager, ensure all Chemistry Department software licenses are distributed, managed, and renewed.
• In conjunction with the Chemistry Stockroom Manager, provide auxiliary support for upper division labs.
• Create a comprehensive set of lab preparation notes and instrument SOPs for future reference.
The person in this role may be given the opportunity to teach one or more lab sections during each calendar year for additional compensation. This is contingent on a demonstration that they can effectively perform the duties outlined above.
• MS in Chemistry with two years of lab experience in organic chemistry or closely related field required. MS in Organic Chemistry preferred.
• Availability during laboratory hours is required.
• Proficiency in the use of common organic lab equipment and instruments such as NMR, IR, GC, and GC/MS.
• Knowledge of and skill in independent preparation of laboratory reagents and solutions.
• Expertise in chemical laboratory techniques.
• Knowledge of lab safety procedures.
• Skill with computers, including file handling, databases, spreadsheets, and word processing software.
• Experience managing NMR spectrometers is strongly preferred.
• Demonstrated ability and experience working with diverse faculty and students and cultivating an inclusive environment that supports USF's Jesuit mission.
Candidates should submit a cover letter and resume. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. For questions about this position, please contact the search committee chair, Herman Nikolayevskiy, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2644526.
The University of San Francisco is located in the heart of one of the world’s most innovative and diverse cities, and is home to a vibrant academic community of students and faculty who achieve excellence in their fields. Its diverse student body enjoys direct access to faculty, small classes and outstanding opportunities in the city itself. USF is San Francisco's first university, and its Jesuit Catholic mission helps ignite a student’s passion for social justice and a desire to “Change the World From Here.” For more information, visit http://www.usfca.edu.
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.