About OMI Industries:
At OMI Industries, we’re committed to using the natural power of plant oils to produce safe, natural, and effective odor removing products without the use of harsh chemicals or artificial fragrances. With nearly 30 years of expertise, OMI is the world leader in manufacturing natural odor eliminating solutions for industrial, commercial, and consumer applications.
OMI Industries has an established Research & Development team and we’re looking for a driven Research & Development Scientist II to join our growing team.
Job Description for Research & Development Scientist II:
As part of the Research and Development (R&D) team, the R&D Scientist II responsibilities include, but are not limited to, method development and experimentation using a Gas chromatography–mass spectrometer (GCMS), reaction studies using a GCMS for odor control industries, formulation development and processing, compatibility studies, stability testing, scale up trials for production, assisting with the maintenance of laboratory equipment, understanding quality control and quality assurance, assist with regulatory needs including OSHA, SDS, EPA and third party certifications. This individual will work alongside with Quality Control Specialists, Quality and Safety Supervisor, and a Laboratory Scientist. This individual will report directly to OMI’s R&D Director.
General responsibilities of Research & Development Scientist II:
- Run and maintain a GCMS independently.
- Ability to correctly analyze spectra including determine the signal to noise ratio, correct integration of peaks and correct identification of peaks.
- Ability to method develop on a GCMS.
- Ability to run desorption tubes on GCMS.
- Ability to write professional lab reports for non-technical customers.
- Ability to write technical articles for publications.
- Maintain an understanding of latest trends in the industry and stay up to date with new scientific developments that are relevant to OMI Industries.
- Explore and pursue innovation/technologies and integrate them into state-of-the-art products.
- Conduct research on pre-formulations for new product development.
- Development new formulations for new innovative products.
- Determine the compatibility of new products with current packaging and equipment.
- Determine and execute testing for new products.
- Follow all Standard Operating Procedures for testing and development.
- Assist in the development and execution of scale-up trials.
- Define problems and objectives, develop approach, analyze results, and provide recommendations for both R&D and quality.
- Assist with regulatory requirements and third-party certifications.
- Meet all project deadlines and performance standards.
- Assist the Director of Research and Development when needed with additional needs.
- Carry out responsibilities in accordance with organizational policies, procedures and follow regulations.
Experience and Requirements for Research & Development Scientist II:
- Ph.D. in Chemistry
- Written at least 1 first author published scientific paper in an accreditable journal.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience working on a GCMS (Thermo preferable).
- Experience with method development on GCMS.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills required.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office – Word and Excel required; OneNote preferred.
- Experience working with ISO, GLP, GMP, and SOP regulatory rules, regulations and guidelines preferred.
- Ability to effectively interact with others.
- Ability to interact with external individuals and customers in a professional manner.
- Strong decision-making, problem-solving and organizational skills.
- Strong understanding of general business practices and procedures.
- Strong relationship building skills; a team player.
- Highly motivated; a self-starter.
- Ability to stand, walk, stoop and bend for up to 8 hours per day.
- Ability to move freely without assistance on a regular basis.
- The Research & Development Scientist II will report to OMI’s Research & Development Center on a daily basis.
- OMI Industries manufactures odor eliminating solutions. Chemical exposure to raw materials including plant oils, fragrances, and non-volatile materials in high concentrations is likely to occur.
- Loud noises from machinery in the manufacturing facility is likely to occur.