Functional Materials Team Supervisor
Pittsburgh, PA, Morgantown, WV or Albany, Oregon.
The National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL), Research and Innovation Center (RIC), Materials Engineering and Manufacturing (MEM) Directorate is recruiting for the Supervisor of the Functional Materials Team. The Functional Materials Team conducts cutting edge on materials to enable advanced clean energy technologies to minimize the environmental impacts of fossil fuels while working towards net zero emissions. Research focuses on the design, synthesis, physical characterization, and performance evaluation of the nanomaterials, catalysts, polymers, porous sorbents, ionic liquids, and electro-ceramics required for the next generation of carbon capture, gas and liquid separation, CO2 conversion, fuel processing, sensing, and production carbon materials technologies. The functional materials capability houses a full complement of laboratories and facilities for the synthesis, characterization, processing, manufacturing, and performance evaluation of materials.
For more information on NETL please visits: https://www.netl.doe.gov/. For more information of the Materials Engineering and Manufacturing Directorate and the Functional Materials Team, please visit: https://netl.doe.gov/onsite-research/materials.
The Team Supervisor provides leadership for the safe, effective, fiscally responsible conduct of research, and for maintaining competency in functional materials. The Team Supervisor will perform supervisory duties, and utilize theories, principles, and methods of supervision and management to integrate, direct, and coordinate significant and diverse program functions. The Team Supervisor coordinates and leads the efforts of a variety of professional staff associated with overall research management activities.
- Provides technical leadership to maintain and grow NETL’s Functional Materials capability and ensure relevancy to NETL’s mission, goals, and objectives.
- Provides technical oversight to ensure the team conducts nationally recognized research with outcomes as measured by publications in peer-reviewed journals, presentations at major conferences, and development and transfer of technology innovations.
- Develops and fosters collaborations with internal and external entities including industry, university, and other national labs
- Mentors, coaches, and develops staff including promoting staff for career advancement and opportunities
- Represents NETL and programs to sponsors and external stakeholders.
- Ensures research operations are conducted in a safe manner and in compliance to environmental, health, and safety policies and procedures.
These positions are on the federal research staff. U.S. Citizenship is required. For more information about the conditions of employment and to apply, please visit:
General Engineer: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/615982700
Physical Scientist: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/615981000
Select the Pittsburgh, PA, Morgantown, WV, or Albany, OR location and consideration at GS 15 level.
It is requested that applicants also email a cover letter along with their resume/CV to MEM@netl.doe.gov. DO NOT include on your cover letter or CV/resume submitted to MEM@netl.doe.gov, any of the following information: social security number, photos of yourself, personal information, such as age, gender, religious affiliation, etc., classified or government sensitive information or any encryption or digital signatures.