Oak Ridge National Laboratory is the largest US Department of Energy science and energy laboratory, conducting basic and applied research to deliver transformative solutions to compelling problems in energy and security.
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate who will support the Separations Chemistry Group in the Chemical Sciences Division (CSD), Physical Sciences Directorate (PSD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) who will focus on the development of new improved processes for the separation of critical materials relevant to energy.
As part of our research team, you will be responsible for delivering high impact research results to advance the work on ion separations. You will be very closely working with specialists in synthesis, separations chemistry, radiochemistry, theory, spectroscopy, and materials characterization.
- Design and execute liquid-liquid separation experiments to meet project goals
- Perform ion separation experiments, use ICP and IC to determine ion concentrations
- Participate in project planning and execution
- Present and report research results at the project, group, PI meetings and national conferences
- Publish scientific results in peer-reviewed journals in a timely manner
- Ensure compliance with environment, safety, health and quality program requirements
- Maintain strong dedication to the implementation and perpetuation of values and ethics
- A PhD in Chemistry or a related field completed within the last 5 years
- A record of productive and creative research proven by publications in peer-reviewed journals
- A strong background in separations chemistry of metal ions, most desirably experience with lanthanides and/or transition metals
- Expertise in solvent extraction and use of appropriate analytical techniques such as ICP-OES or ICP-MS and/or radiometric analysis
- Experience in characterization of organic compounds by 1D NMR, FTIR, and UV-vis spectroscopy
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and to participate creatively in collaborative teams across the laboratory
- Ability to function well in a fast-paced research environment, set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks within deadlines, and adapt to ever changing needs
Please submit three letters of reference when applying to this position. You can upload these directly to your application or have them sent to email@example.com with the position title and number referenced in the subject line.
Instructions to upload documents to your candidate profile:
- Login to your account via jobs.ornl.gov
- View Profile
- Under the My Documents section, select Add a Document
Applicants cannot have received their Ph.D. more than five years prior to the date of application and must complete all degree requirements before starting their appointment. The appointment length will be for up to 24 months with the potential for extension. Initial appointments and extensions are subject to performance and the availability of funding.
Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the “About” tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.