Senior Instructional Professor (open rank) in Chemistry
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Position URL: apply.interfolio.com/100150
The Department of Chemistry in the Physical Sciences Division at the University of Chicago invites applications for positions as Senior Instructional Professor (open rank). The selected candidate will be appointed as Assistant Instructional Professor, Associate Senior Instructional Professor, or as Senior Instructional Professor with rank determined by qualifications. The appointment will be for a term of up to five years, renewable. This is a career-track position with competitive salary and benefits and is expected to begin in the 2022-2023 academic year.
The Department of Chemistry is looking to continue its programmatic and educational excellence in preparing undergraduate students for careers and future study in the chemical sciences. Position responsibilities include hiring, training, supervision, and evaluation of Instructional Professor rank appointees in the general chemistry program, as well as teaching chemistry courses. This position will work with faculty to design, implement, and direct the undergraduate program curriculum to improve pedagogy across the department, as well as integrate assessment practices and teaching approaches.
- A Ph.D. in Chemistry or a closely related field;
- Five or more years teaching experience as an instructor of record at a college or university;
- Experience managing academic personnel.
- Training and experience that makes candidates exceptionally qualified to teach undergraduate courses and develop curriculum in one or more of the following areas: general chemistry, physical chemistry, and experimental chemistry.
Applications must be submitted online through the University of Chicago’s Academic Jobs website:http://apply.interfolio.com/100150. Review of applications will begin on January 14, 2022 and will continue until all positions are filled.
The following materials are required:
- curriculum vitae, including a history of courses taught;
- cover letter indicating approach and experience leading others in an academic setting;
- statement of teaching philosophy and a forward-looking statement on innovation in chemical pedagogy;
- three or more letters of reference, at least two of which should address teaching ability;
- at least three teaching evaluations from at least two distinct classes.
- Course syllabi;
- Documentation showing experience with pedagogy development.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
We seek a diverse pool of applicants who wish to join an academic community that places the highest value on rigorous inquiry and encourages diverse perspectives, experiences, groups of individuals, and ideas to inform and stimulate intellectual challenge, engagement, and exchange. The University’s Statements on Diversity are at https://provost.uchicago.edu/statements-diversity.
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-1032 or email email@example.com with their request.