Are you a chemist with a demonstrated record of achievement in fertilizer research and development? Do you have in-depth development experience, preferably in micronutrients and plant nutrition? Do you have a proven ability to lead, plan and execute research projects on difficult problems with cross-functional teams? Do you have a degree in Chemistry and at least five years or more of practical industrial experience in an R&D agricultural product development environment? If so, we’d like to hear from you!
For a century, Wilbur-Ellis has experienced success and growth in marketing and distributing agricultural products and services. Join us and grow your career with a strong and profitable industry leader offering competitive compensation, tremendous growth and development opportunities, and a people-first work environment. Come grow with us!
General Purpose and Scope of Position:
The Plant Nutrition Formulation Chemist will direct lab activities for the development, registration, and manufacture of new branded Plant Nutrition products and formulations. This role will partner with sales, marketing, environmental, health, safety, and security (EHSS), regulatory, operations, and manufacturing teams to identify business needs and determine the best formulation development path forward. This role will also advise and educate the field on product use to expand the market and drive business results.
Key Skills and Abilities:
- Proven ability to lead, plan and execute research projects on difficult problems with cross-functional teams
- Demonstrated record of achievement for formulation research and development on adjuvants and crop protection products
- In-depth formulation development experience, preferably in nutrition and biologicals
- Strong understanding of formulation and application technologies based on practical use of physical-chemical properties and analytical methods
- Proven track record of generating new innovation and application of cutting-edge technology
- BS in Chemistry or related field required; MS or Ph.D. is desirable
- Minimum of 5 years of practical industrial experience in a research & development environment required
Key Personal Attributes:
- Strong attention to detail, problem-solving, record keeping, and decision-making skills
- Solid verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong analytical and critical thinker
- Advocates safety culture always
Specific Responsibilities and Key Deliverables:
- Direct laboratory activities pertaining to Agricultural Nutrition product development
- Provide direction to laboratory staff on activities pertaining to product development and quality control requirements
- Design formulations for new Wilbur-Ellis branded Nutrition products
- Perform quantitative and qualitative analysis on raw materials
- Interface with manufacturing on proper formulation and production of Nutrition products. Maintain Share-Point site for manufacturing formulas
- Work with branded portfolio managers to implement training for field staff. Participate in Product Development and Branded Technology Teams
- Act as a resource to field staff with questions pertaining to product functionality and performance, compatibility, stability, specifications, and Quality Control requirements
- Work with Product Regulatory and Environmental Health Safety and Services Departments on chemistry details of products, registrations, labels, and SDS documents
- Provide forensic laboratory services to determine sources of product failure or quality issues. Troubleshoot issues with products in the field or storage at branches
- Evaluate competitive products, technologies, and marketing materials
- Meet with vendors to vet products or technology offerings. Evaluate raw materials for supply chain managers and new technologies for Product Development opportunities
- Coordinate with the Adjuvant and Crop Protection Formulation Chemist on projects combining Crop Protection, Adjuvant, and Nutrition products
- Produce training materials and presentations for field staff education
- Provide data and advice to marketing staff to produce brochures, bulletins, etc.
- Review system bill of materials and Manufacturing recipes and production procedures prior to issuance of a system item number for Branded Products to ensure they meet labels and proper manufacturing Regulatory compliance
- Perform all other duties as assigned by management professionally and efficiently
- Travel required: up to 20%
Compensation and Benefits:
- Competitive salary (to be determined based on experience and other factors)
- Flexible work schedule available
- Relocation assistance may be offered for the right candidate
- Benefits package (medical, dental, vision, 401k, Employee Assistance Program, vacation, sick time, life insurance, + more); pension plan, 401k match up to 3%
- Drug-Free Workplace
If you are currently a Wilbur-Ellis employee, please notify your Manager prior to applying for this position. Thank you!
Wilbur-Ellis is a company you can be proud to call your employer
Wilbur-Ellis markets and distributes agricultural products, animal feed, and specialty chemicals, and food ingredients. A privately held and consistently profitable company, we employ more than 4,000 people throughout North America and Asia-Pacific.
Wilbur-Ellis is for and about people
Wilbur-Ellis has over 100 years of success and growth, all thanks to our people. Our employees are both leaders and team players who thrive on creativity, entrepreneurial spirit, and a dedication to quality work, our customers, and each other.
Wilbur-Ellis invests in the industry’s best workforce
Wilbur-Ellis invests heavily in our employees by offering skill development and training, competitive compensation and benefits, and a tradition of promoting from within for a broad range of career opportunities. And we foster a supportive, people-first work environment.