Lead the development of new products and processes, mainly in the area of advanced ceramic materials, to meet the company’s strategic market and manufacturing objectives. This role involves working on R&D projects with a small internal team with the goal of growing the company through new product development, as well as collaborating with external partner companies, national labs, and universities.
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Plan, lead, and execute research projects to develop new materials for diverse applications including energy technology, aerospace, manufacturing, and nuclear ceramics
- Apply educational background and engineering experience to the formulation, design and development of new products and processes.
- Organize laboratory and manufacturing trials to evaluate new ideas based on scientific, engineering and statistical principles.
- Apply statistically designed experiments to new product development.
- Develop competitive grant proposals for new products or processes, using technical writing skills within the areas of materials, chemical, and electrical engineering.
- Collaborate with external partner companies, national labs, and universities on research projects
- Assist Sales and Marketing on their evaluation of potential customers’ products and processes and make recommendations for new or existing products.
- Participate with personnel from R&D and other departments to perform projects requiring cross-functional coordination.
- Successfully complete major projects in a timely manner, within budget.
- Reports to the Vice President, R&D
The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities required. Other duties may be assigned.
Education and experience
- Minimum requirement of a Master’s degree in Materials/Chemical Engineering preferred.
- Degree in other Scientific Disciplines may be considered.
- Minimum of 2 years laboratory experience in an industrial R&D environment is preferred
- Hands-on experience with material characterization techniques such as SEM/EDS, laser particle size measurements, XRD, wet chemistry, optical microscopy/metallography sample preparation, furnace operation (inert gas, vacuum, other atmospheres) are desired, but not necessarily required.
- Experience/knowledge of ceramic materials, fuel cell/battery chemistry, ultra-high temperature materials, and/or non-oxide ceramics, would be considered an advantage.
- Experience with technical grant and report writing is preferred.
- Proficiency in statistical data analysis and presenting technical material to larger audiences
- Self-motivated, with the ability to deliver results without management supervision.
- Proven ability to make significant technical scientific advances utilizing internal and/or external resources is desired.
- Experience to lead and supervise laboratory employees is desired.
- Must be capable of occasional (1-2 days/month maximum) travel to customer sites, industry shows, and technical meetings.
- Some lifting of up to 50 pounds may be occasionally required
- U.S. work authorization is required
Work Schedule and Benefits
- Full-time, Monday-Friday (8:30-5:00 typically), Flex-Time is available
- Generous PTO
- Medical, Dental, Vision, 401(k), and other benefits are offered