This role, based out of Twin Falls, ID, will be responsible for supporting the Analytical testing needs of the global business. This position, under the direction of the Analytical Chemist, will conduct and oversee both routine and non-routine testing, analyze and interpret results, and report data that drives business decisions. Analytical Technicians will report directly into this role. This role will also be responsible for leading key projects, which may include new method developments. This role has a responsibility for managing and maintaining adherence to good laboratory practices (GLPs) and safety protocols in the corporate laboratory. This is a salaried position and shift will be dependent on production requirements.
- In support of Analytical Chemist, manage and maintain the daily operation of the corporate Analytical Laboratory, including the management of technical staff, in accordance with corporate policies, global standards, and formal documents (e.g., TMs/SOPs).
- Conduct/oversee testing of product samples for protein, total solids/moisture, total fats, water activity, % moisture, pH, volatiles, colorimetry, etc. using appropriate instrumentation/technology (e.g., NIR, FT-IR, spectroscopy, colorimetry, e-Nose, cryoscope, gas chromatography, HPLC-RID, HPLC-MS, etc.) in accordance to written protocols and is verified for accuracy.
- Ensure that non-conforming or invalid data is responded to in accordance with protocols and Analytical Chemist is informed without delay.
- Manage/oversee the completion of special projects, as assigned by Analytical Chemist, (e.g., shelf-life assessments, evaluation of new/advanced technologies, method development, method validation, verification testing, etc.)
- Interpret and review data and generate clear, meaningful/impactful, and accurate reports to key stakeholders of the test data.
- Collaborate closely with other departments (e.g., R&D, Operations, etc.) to help support business critical testing needs.
- Oversee annual proficiency testing programs.
- Maintain and operate lab testing functions, documented procedures, and training program in accordance with GLPs and safety protocols.
- Manage and oversee the preventative maintenance program for key equipment in the laboratory – including calibration and/or certification
- Manage and oversee the laboratory’s inventory control program.
- Manage and oversee the laboratory’s sample tracking procedures and documentation (receipt, processing, reporting, trending).
- Manage the training and oversight of interns and Quality Technicians that may work in lab on rotational/seasonal basis.
- Manage and maintain partnership with approved third-party labs.
- Follow Chobani’s safety procedures and Good Manufacturing Practices
- BS degree in a Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biological Science, or equivalent.
- Minimum of 2 years laboratory experience in food industry with a focus on testing either dairy- and/or non-dairy-based products
- Must be familiar with standard analytical methods for food component analysis (e.g., protein, fat, TS, chromatography, titration)
- Experience with HPLC, HPLC-MS, GC preferred.
- Experience with Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS) and Document Control software
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Applications (i.e., Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
- Highly organized with the ability to manage multiple priorities/projects and deliver within deadlines
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
- Skilled and knowledgeable in Good Laboratory Practices
- Skilled in presenting data in both written form and verbally.