The Process Development Engineer, API Continuous Flow R&D is a laboratory position at MilliporeSigma in the R&D organization responsible for the implementation of continuous flow processes inside the API contract manufacturing segment. The primary activities for this position will be developing processes alongside flow chemists to build continuous systems using new and existing chemical process technology, maintaining and improving existing equipment, and developing new equipment and techniques for a wide variety of chemical processes.
Essential Job Functions:
- Development, scale-up, design, test, and operation of new processes.
- Transfer processes to site operations and develop new equipment recommendations.
- Collect and analyze relevant data and process data.
- Complete general process documentation and safety evaluations.
- Serve as overall engineering lead on one or more flow development programs.
- Identify continuous flow manufacturing possibilities inside the API portfolio.
- Execute flow projects and initiatives, meeting identified objectives within the targeted budget(s) inside the MilliporeSigma product and technology development processes.
- Develop flow processes suitable for efficient manufacturing in a GMP environment.
- Demonstrate clear initiative, risk-taking, and creativity.
- Champion the implementation of newly innovative flow technologies.
- Interact well with other functional units (Marketing, Commercial, Process Development, Analytical Development, Technical Operations, Manufacturing, Safety, Quality, and Regulatory Affairs) to advance flow and department objectives.
- Work in accordance with FDA, OSHA, EPA, DNR, DOT, and other regulatory agency guidelines.
Who You Are:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, or related discipline.
- 5+ years of chemical engineering experience.
- Master’s Degree in Chemical Engineer, Chemistry, or related discipline.
- 3+ years of chemical engineering experience.
- PhD in Chemical Engineering.
- Experience with P&ID, PFD, and Mass/Energy balance calculations.
- Experience with operation of common unit-ops.
- Deep understanding of PFR/CSTR design, simulation, and operation.
- Hands-on operation, maintenance, or design of pilot equipment.
- Working knowledge of a common modeling/simulation tool such as Dynochem, gPROMS, Python, Matlab/Simulink, COMSOL, ChemCAD, Aspen etc.
- Ability to plan, execute and analyze experiments.
- Previous pilot plant and/or lab process development experience.
- Hands on experience with pumps, valves, reactors, and other process equipment.
- Design, construction or operation of mini-plant or pilot-plant system.
- Previous API or GMP experience.
- Familiarity with process control and data collection systems.