The Chemical Engineering Department and Chemistry Laboratory Technician primarily sets up and maintains the laboratories for the Chemical Engineering Unit Operations Laboratory and for the Chemistry Instrument Analysis Laboratory. Each laboratory involves a range of experimental units and technologies. In addition, the technician provides technical support for laboratory classes, departmental projects and research as requested.
- Certification for NYFD C14 Laboratory Supervision (exam, biannual renewal)
- Knowledge of code compliance NYFD chemical storage and handling + OSHA and NY State Regs
- First aid and CPR training in needed
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Laboratory Safety and Housekeeping (performs or supervises)
- Maintain ‘Safety Signage’ and appropriate Safety Equipment
- Testing and Maintaining Unit Operations Process equipment and Instrumental Analysis Equipment
- Manage tools and support equipment
- Ordering essential supplies, safety equipment, and necessary goods and services
- Managing chemical inventory, reordering, and segregating storage as appropriate
- Managing waste via: handling, satellite storage, recovery, and proper disposal
- Monitoring student generated samples: containment, labeling, and satellite local storage
- Supervising students on safety, housekeeping, equipment operation, and sampling
- Designing, fabricating, refurbishing, and installing UOP experiments as needed
- Assisting faculty and students with projects and research
- Instructing students on proper use of specialized instruments and equipment
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree or master’s degree in chemical engineering, chemistry or at least 4 years of industry experience after a bachelor's degree in a related field.
- Experience in a research and instructional laboratory setting preferred.
- Experience operating and maintaining a wide range of instruments including new instruments and new technologies. Current instruments include: UV-Visible Spectrophotometry, Fluorescence Spectroscopy, High-Performance Liquid Chromatography, Gas Chromatography/Mass Spectrometry, Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy, Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy, Atomic Absorption Spectrophotometry, Spectronic 20 spectrophotometers, pH meters.
- Computer skills: Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, Solidworks, National Instruments LabView, and Matlab/Simulink, technical drawing software (e.g., Autocad, Visio).
This is a unionized position.
The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art is an Equal Opportunity Employer.