Science Editor/Lab Manager- Chemistry Department
- University of Chicago
- Chicago, Illinois
- Compensation commensurate with experience
- Closing date
- Feb 13, 2022
- Field of specialization
- Work Function
- Job Type
- Full time
- Assist with grant proposal, manuscript, and annual report preparation and submission.
- Track project expenditures and research data management.
- Manage lab safety checklists, schedules, lab duty lists, lab maintenance and cleanup schedules.
- Review laboratory protocols and training on new techniques. Manage complex data sets for research.
- Onboard new lab members, help with arranging/completing all necessary paperwork, set up orientation sessions and safety training.
- Monitor and troubleshoot equipment and arrange instrument repair.
- Order supplies.
- Negotiate with vendors and manage laboratory inventory.
- Manage the laboratory website.
- Report expenses.
- Host visitors and seminar speakers.
- Assist with workshops and collaborative meetings.
- Plan new educational outreach activities.
- Draft letters and other routine communications.
- Assist with needs of international visitors, students, and faculty: including visa applications and logistical assistance.
- Reviews laboratory protocols and training on new techniques. Manage complex data sets for research.
- Leads the contributions to scientific writing and publications, including protocols and grants.
- Perform other related work as needed.
Minimum requirements include a PhD in related field.
Minimum requirements include knowledge and skills developed through 2-5 years of work experience in a related job discipline.
- Doctoral, Master’s or Bachelor’s degree in chemistry, physics, materials science, or another related field.
- Knowledge in chemistry, physics, or materials science.
- Excellent writing, editing, and proof-reading skills.
- Strong analytical skills with ability to interpret and present complex data.
- Technologically savvy and skilled at learning new systems and processes.
- Knowledge of federal grant and report requirements.
- Problem solving skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Supervisory skills.
- Experience with WordPress or other website content management systems.
- Experience with collaboration tools such as Slack, Zoom, or Google Workspace/GSuite.
- Proficiency in Adobe Illustrator or alternative graphic composition software.
- Resume (required)
- Cover letter (required)
- Three references (required)
Scheduled Weekly Hours
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via Applicant Inquiry Form.
We seek a diverse pool of applicants who wish to join an academic community that places the highest value on rigorous inquiry and encourages diverse perspectives, experiences, groups of individuals, and ideas to inform and stimulate intellectual challenge, engagement, and exchange. The University’s Statements on Diversity are at https://provost.uchicago.edu/statements-diversity.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert