Product Development Chemist
Collaborate with Innovative 3Mers Around the World
Choosing where to start and grow your career has a major impact on your professional and personal life, so it’s equally important you know that the company that you choose to work at, and its leaders, will support and guide you. With a diversity of people, global locations, technologies and products, 3M is a place where you can collaborate with 96,000 other curious, creative 3Mers.
“A long-lasting career at 3M comes from having vision, imagination and the ability to see what doesn’t exist. 3Mers are groundbreaking innovators and it’s important that we give every person the space for disruptive and creative thinking.” – John Banovetz, executive vice president, chief technology officer and environmental responsibility at 3M
This position provides an opportunity to transition from other private, public, government or military environments to a 3M career.
The Impact You’ll Make in this Role
As a Product Development Chemist, you will have the opportunity to tap into your curiosity and collaborate with some of the most innovative and diverse people around the world. Here, you will make an impact by:
- Leveraging expertise to develop technologies and products that can be commercialized in the areas of noise, vibration, and thermal control
- Developing technical solutions to determine the formulation and construction in new materials and products
- Collaborating with corporate research and business labs on building capabilities and applications
- Working seamlessly with partner businesses, applications, operations, supply chain, legal, safety and environmental to deliver results
- Expanding and protecting Aearo’s intellectual property through the filing of new patent applications, publications, and present at technical conferences
Your Skills and Expertise
To set you up for success in this role from day one, 3M requires (at a minimum) the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in a Science or Engineering discipline (completed and verified prior to start) from an accredited institution.
- Three (3) combined years of laboratory experience in technology and/or product development for noise, vibration, and thermal control within a private, public, government or military environment.
Additional qualifications that could help you succeed even further in this role include:
- Master’s degree or higher in a Science or Engineering discipline (completed and verified prior to start) from an accredited institution
- Five (5) years of laboratory experience in technology and product development for noise, vibration, and thermal control with elastomer and acoustic foam.
- Experience with commercialization of new products.
- Ability to generate novel ideas and creatively apply to existing and new products
- Proficiency in utilizing scientific methodology to solve complex technical questions
- Ability to manage a broad scope of activities including but not limited to conducting experiments, participating effectively in a team environment, and managing multiple stakeholders
- Ability to work independently.
- Communication, troubleshooting, networking, and computer skills to evaluate data and make decisions
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Travel: May include up to 15% domestic/international
Relocation Assistance: May be authorized
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status).
Responsibilities of this position may include direct and/or indirect physical or logical access to information, systems, technologies subjected to the regulations/compliance with U.S. Export Control Laws.
U.S. Export Control laws and U.S. Government Department of Defense contracts and sub-contracts impose certain restrictions on companies and their ability to share export-controlled and other technology and services with certain "non-U.S. persons" (persons who are not U.S. citizens or nationals, lawful permanent residents of the U.S., refugees, "Temporary Residents" (granted Amnesty or Special Agricultural Worker provisions), or persons granted asylum (but excluding persons in nonimmigrant status such as H-1B, L-1, F-1, etc.) or non-U.S. citizens.
To comply with these laws, and in conjunction with the review of candidates for those positions within 3M that may present access to export controlled technical data, 3M must assess employees' U.S. person status, as well as citizenship(s).
The questions asked in this application are intended to assess this and will be used for evaluation purposes only. Failure to provide the necessary information in this regard will result in our inability to consider you further for this particular position. The decision whether or not to file or pursue an export license application is at 3M Company's sole election.
Supporting Your Well-being
3M offers many programs to help you live your best life – both physically and financially. To ensure competitive pay and benefits, 3M regularly benchmarks with other companies that are comparable in size and scope.
Resources for You
For more details on what happens before, during and after the interview process, check out the Insights for Candidates page at 3M.com/careers.
Learn more about 3M’s creative solutions to the world’s problems at www.3M.com or on Twitter @3M.
Responsibilities of this position include that corporate policies, procedures and security standards are complied with while performing assigned duties.
Our approach to flexibility is called Work Your Way, which puts employees first and drives well-being in ways that enable 3M’s business and performance goals. You have flexibility in where and when work gets done. It all depends on where and when you can do your best work.
Pay & Benefits Overview: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/careers-us/working-at-3m/benefits/
3M is an equal opportunity employer. 3M will not discriminate against any applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status.
Please note: your application may not be considered if you do not provide your education and work history, either by: 1) uploading a resume, or 2) entering the information into the application fields directly.