Director of Process Chemistry – Specialty Chemical Manufacturing
AMVAC is looking for a PhD level Director of Process Chemistry to work with their team of scientists. The Director of Process Chemistry manages and mentors members of the Process Chemistry group including R&D Chemists, Process Chemists and Scientists located throughout AMVAC’s sites.
AMVAC® Chemical Corporation, an American Vanguard company, has successfully served the results-driven global markets through development, manufacturing and marketing of products for agricultural and commercial use.
The Director of Process Chemistry is responsible for Project Management and the performance of their direct reports including hiring, managing and training. This position supports the Research and Development - R&D - efforts at AMVAC through the development and enhancement of chemical processes that provide the company with a competitive advantage in the agricultural chemicals market. Processes developed will have lower cost of manufacture (raw materials, improved conversion and lower capital), environmentally sustainable manufacturing profiles (minimal waste) and are safe to operate.
- Manage and mentor the members of the Process Chemistry group including R&D Chemists, Plant Support Chemists, Process Chemists and Scientists
- Oversee all aspects of process chemistry research within AMVAC laboratories and with various outside entities
- Provide durable and sustainable solutions to the company
- Develop new process concepts and improve processes that AMVAC can use to differentiate itself from competitors
- Support troubleshooting efforts for process and manufacturing with emphasis on maximum speed to resolution, internal communication and coordination, and minimal economic impact
- Act as Process Chemistry ‘Subject Matter Expert’ (SME) to ensure appropriate evaluation of technical manufacturing of active ingredients for current and future endeavors
- Provide Process Chemistry Registration support for active ingredients and formulas including drafting reports for registration purposes
- Ensure that work in the laboratories complies with all regulatory safety and environmental requirements
- Comply with all company policies, practices and lawful directives
- Travel to AMVAC’s current production sites, current and potential Toll manufacturing sites - domestic & International) and other meetings as required (> 50% as current conditions permit)
- Advanced degree in Chemistry or chemical engineering is required
- PhD preferred
- 15+ years’ prior synthetic organic chemistry experience in a product and/or process development setting providing production plant process support
- Experience in analytical chemistry and process chemistry troubleshooting
- Proven track record of leading and mentoring technical talent
- Project management & leadership experience required; detail-oriented a must
- Regulatory and environmental compliance
- Global travel (as permitted) to support evaluation and auditing of potential new sourcing opportunities, Toll manufacturers of raw materials, active ingredients and finished products will be required
- Computer skills including Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), Scientific and Patent Literature search skills are required
Excellent Benefits including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Retirement plan with match, ESPP (NYSE:AVD) & more.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employers & all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, national origin, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.