We are seeking an experienced medicinal chemist to be a founding member of our Molecular Discovery Team. In this position you will work in a multidisciplinary environment to apply and expand ReAx drug discovery platforms, advancing chemical matter through hit-to-lead optimization and delivery of novel small molecule therapeutics.
- Design and synthesis of novel chemical probes for discovery programs.
- Optimize advanced compound leads for prioritized programs.
- Supervise external and hybrid synthetic efforts with CROs.
- Compound characterization, organization, and storage.
- Summarize and present R&D results within Molecular Discovery.
- Provide valuable insight across R&D operations to catalyze ongoing projects and establish new directions in a target-focused and thesis-driven manner.
- Collaborate with team members and legal on patent applications, progress reports, and publications.
- PhD in Synthetic or Medicinal Chemistry, Chemical Biology, Pharmacology, or related field.
- 3+ years of industry or post-degree experience is desired, but the drive to learn on the go and innovate to overcome scientific challenges is most important.
- Deep understanding and independence in synthetic route planning, small-molecule synthesis and/or methods development, purification, and spectroscopic characterization.
- Experience designing, synthesizing, and optimizing covalent and non-covalent chemical probes, chemical libraries, and/or drug-like molecules.
- Hit-to-lead optimization considering properties including SAR, PK/PD, ADME/tox, etc.
- Skilled at communication, organization, writing, and problem solving.
- Chemical biology/proteomics experience: bioconjugation, gel and/or mass spec-based protein analysis, chemical proteomic target deconvolution, etc.
- Proficiency in HTS, phenotypic assay development, and compound library management.
- External team management experience, including synthetic chemistry CROs.
Passionate. About the joy of discovery and thrill from solving hard problems.
Focused. We are on a mission to bring new therapeutics to bear against challenging disease drivers. Constantly moving forward on this goal is critical.
Rigorous. Science is hard, drug discovery even more so. Every assumption, experiment, and conclusion therefore must be diligently vetted for validity.
Team Player. You should have a track record for working in teams, especially in diverse, multidisciplinary environments.
- Strong equity incentives. We are seeking candidates with high agency who will take ownership of their projects.
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage.
- Our lab is located in Chicago’s West Loop neighborhood, an emerging hub of Midwest biotech innovation. We are in walking distance from Randolph Street’s Restaurant Row, surrounding shops, and night life.
- On-site gym, café, parking, and bike storage, with breathtaking views of the city.
- Deep connections across Chicago’s life science ecosystem, perfect for collaborations, networking, and access to multiple world-class research facilities.
ReAx is a Chicago-based, pre-clinical company that is applying next generation chemical proteomic platforms to discover, optimize and validate small molecules directly in cells. The ReAx pipeline enables interrogation of proteomic ‘dark matter’ – a landscape that is rarely studied, much less exploited for ligand discovery against high-value protein targets. By integrating our platforms with innovative chemistry, disease biology, and computational methods, we hope to deliver first-in-class therapeutics in oncology and immunological disease indications.