Are you the kind of person that is always thinking, sketching, seeking, and adjusting? Who needs to understand how things work and then figure out how they can work better? Are you a passionate, tenacious, solver who loves to work with others who share your drive? Are you positive, constructive, and ingenious?
Are you always solving?
Then we’d like to meet you and bet you’d like to meet us.
Ashland has an exciting opportunity for an Organic/Synthetic Polymer Chemist to join Ashland Specialty Ingredients G. P. as a member of our Applied Research Team in Global R&D. This position will report to a Group Leader.
This position will be located in Wilmington, DE.
To learn more about Research & Development at Ashland visit: www.ashland.com/about/randd
The responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Design, initiate and execute synthetic strategies for ongoing new product development growth projects.
- Function as a technical liaison to applications and marketing groups to advance new products and solve challenging technical problems for customers.
- Work closely with process and production engineers to scale-up new products at global manufacturing sites.
- Lead and supervise lab technician(s) in safe, effective implementation of synthetic and process experiments.
- Independently summarize and interpret analytical and application data.
- Author technical reports and present technical results to internal and external audiences.
- Maintain lab notebooks and logbooks in accordance with company guidelines.
- Comply with company procedural guidelines, laboratory procedures, and safety programs.
In order to be qualified for this role, you must possess the following:
- PhD in Organic Chemistry or Polymer Synthesis
- Strong background in synthetic organic chemistry required
- Good structure-property understanding of diverse application areas
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work in highly collaborative cross-functional environment involving global customers, labs, and manufacturing sites
- Self-starting individual
- Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States
The following skill sets are preferred by the business unit:
- 1 – 5 years of industry experience in R&D organic and/or polymer synthesis
- Experience in the synthesis of water-soluble derivatives of cellulose, guar, and related natural polysaccharide polymers
- Experience in heterogeneous derivatization reaction chemistry and reaction chemistry in polyphasic media
- Fundamental understanding of polymer physical chemistry
- Experience in the design of polysaccharide derivative ingredients for Personal Care, Pharmaceutical, or Coatings application areas