Impressio’s mission is to materially transform the most important products in the world. We have audacious goals to positively enhance our world. The combination of our unique material, Liquid Crystal Elastomers (LCEs), and our talented team of engineers and scientists will enhance the performance of major products ranging from biomedical devices and protective equipment to improve human health to products that improve human life such as EVs, mobile devices, and aerospace applications. We are a platform technology solutions provider to major global manufacturers who will license our technology. Everything we create must improve and enhance human health and the quality of human life. That’s our mission.
We are a cohesive team of collaborators that support each other in our quest to improve human health and our quality of life. We value team and mission success. We all get our hands dirty and we do what needs to be done to advance our mission. We believe that each individual on the team is critically important and that the strength of our team’s chemistry enables us to achieve greater success.
Impressio is looking for a highly motivated synthetic organic chemist or synthetic polymer chemist to join an entrepreneurial team working on innovative liquid crystalline elastomers with a wide range of applications. The person will be responsible for helping establish qualified processes of synthesis for LCEs to enable scaled manufacturing for a wide range of applications. We encourage applicants who will thrive in a start-up culture with dynamic work responsibilities. A successful candidate needs to be flexible, both innovative and receptive to ideas from others, self-motivated and team-oriented, and willing to work with others to push the technology envelope.
- Proficient in running various reactions in well-controlled ways, in small and large lab scale, with close attention to detail.
- Experience in taking small volume chemistries into large-scale productions.
- Experience in specifying new equipment necessary to scale up in-house.
- Experience with processing development of multiple-step synthesis of small molecules such as liquid crystal mesogens and small monomers with different functional groups.
- In-depth and extensive knowledge of organic reactions and synthetic chemistry.
- Thorough understanding of modern analytical and spectroscopic techniques, and ability to interpret the corresponding data and spectra.
- Conduct literature searches for specific transformations and structures and remain current on field-specific literature.
- Excellent troubleshooting ability for problematic reactions.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and successfully complete projects on time.
- Ability to organize time efficiently so that several operations can be carried out simultaneously.
- Work to ensure that a spirit of teamwork and cooperation always exists within the group and work closely with a team from diverse backgrounds.
- Follow good lab practice, exhibit safety awareness, safe work practices, and proper laboratory hygiene.
- Responsible for scaling up the synthesis of the final polymer or the key components or monomers used to make the final polymer.
- Perform multistep organic synthesis involving isolation, purification, and analysis of targeted products.
- Perform literature searches on newly designed chemical compounds to propose synthetic protocols.
- Accurately and promptly enter data on electronic record-keeping tools and report results to the group regularly.
- Take on other duties from the material group when needed.
- Work closely with internal/external analytical teams to characterize the structure and properties of newly synthesized polymeric materials.
- Apply a strong synthetic background and deep understanding of structure-property relationships to invent, develop, and characterize new polymer architectures aligned with our growth initiatives.
- Attentive to detail, with demonstrated ability to produce professional high-quality proposals, reports, and presentations.
- Flexible and collaborative, willing to work in fast-paced product and technology development.
Education & Experience
- Education: Ph.D. in Synthetic Polymer Chemistry or MS in organic chemistry with 3+ years of experience, or BS in chemistry with 5+ years of experience in multi-step organic synthesis.
- Expertise in polymer synthesis, organic synthesis, analytical chemistry, physical chemistry, polymer physics, and design of experiments/data analysis.
- Experience with processing development and QC of chemical products from lab to small-scale commercial production.
- Extensive experience in multi-step organic synthesis including reaction design, execution, and development of workup, isolation, purification, and crystallization procedures.
- Understand the aging and degradation of polymers.
- Experience collecting key experimental and analytical data to support research and development decisions. Familiarity with modern analytical methods and techniques.
- Experience applying spectroscopic methods (NMR, LC-MS, V-Vis, FTIR, etc.) for structure determination and utilizing various analytical techniques (NMR, DMA, DSC, TGA, etc.) for quantitative data collection.
- Willingness to go the extra mile to successfully finish projects on time and with the highest quality standards; interest and curiosity to learn new skills and techniques in the field of chemistry.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- The Ability to be Fearless through Failure
- We want people who quickly adapt, make changes and improvements
- Passion for Impressio’s Mission
- We want people who believe that we can improve human life
- Proactive Attitude
- We want people who strive for progress and take risks daily/weekly
- We want people who attack problems with grit and energy to succeed
- Preference for a Fluid Environment
- We want people who thrive in an open and creative environment where the only constant is change
- We want people who never give up, that turn failure and challenges into learning to achieve success
- We want people who live to innovate
- We want people who take initiative without being told what to do
- Prioritizing Company Goals Over Personal Goals
- We want people who can adapt to multiple roles in a dynamic environment for the greater good of the company
Impressio values its employees’ time and efforts. Our commitment to your success is enhanced by our competitive compensation of $65,000 - $85,000 base, plus performance-based stock options and an extensive benefits package including:
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- 401(k) with employer matching
- Life and AD&D insurance
- Disability insurance
- Flexible spending account
- Health savings account
- Adoption assistance
- Employee assistance program
- Paid holidays
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be required to work for long periods at a laboratory hood/bench and will also have extended keyboarding time. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Proper PPE will be required at all times.
Requires the applicant to work onsite in Denver, Colorado.
Offices located at 7270 Gilpin Way, Ste 120, Denver CO, 80229, USA
PLEASE SUBMIT A COVER LETTER AND DESCRIBE YOUR QUALIFICATIONS AND WHY YOU WANT TO JOIN OUR TEAM. SUBMIT YOUR LETTER AND RESUME TO INFO@IMPRESSIO.TECH