The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), Agricultural Research Service (ARS), Eastern Regional Research Center (ERRC), Sustainable Biofuels and Coproducts (SBCP) Research Unit in Wyndmoor, Pennsylvania is seeking a POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCH ASSOCIATE (Polymer Chemist), GS-11, for a TWO-YEAR appointment to develop bio-based antimicrobial polymers. Salary is commensurate with experience ($72,340 - $94,037 annually) plus benefits. This position is for a competitive NIFA-AFRI funded project with a designed start date of July 2022. The position is open to U.S. citizens and permanent residents who meet the criteria outlined in 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3)(B).
Recent Ph.D. in Synthetic Polymer Chemistry or a closely related field is required. The candidate is responsible for leading research projects to support the development of bio-based polymers with antimicrobial properties.
- Design and synthesize new bio-based polymers with antimicrobial properties
- Evaluate and characterize bio-based polymer performance and properties
- Emphasize on nanoscale phenomena such as bio-based polymer adhesion and other surface science phenomena
- Interact with the development team on structure, property, and modifications of bio-based polymer
- Maintain a safe work environment for self and others
- Ph.D. in polymer science or chemistry (preferably with at least 2 years of postdoctoral experience) in analytical and organic chemistry, synthetic polymer development, structure-property relationships, polymer physics, characterization, mechanics of materials
- Knowledge of instruments including NMR, FT-IR, MS, TGA, DSC, and DMA is required
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills – ability to be self-motivated and to work both independently and in a team environment
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written)
Interested candidates should send their cover letters, resume/CV, and references to Dr. Helen Ngo via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.