Postdoctoral Fellow - Chemistry
- Southern Research Institute
- Birmingham, Alabama
- Up to $53,000 per year + benefits.
- Closing date
- Jul 1, 2022
- Field of specialization
- Biochemical, Medicinal / Clinical, Pharmaceutical
- Work Function
- Job Type
- Full time
This is a 2-year appointment that serves as a research trainee for the purpose of enhancing and developing research competencies. In this appointment, the postdoctoral researcher will be responsible for providing synthetic chemistry support for small molecule drug discovery and medicinal chemistry optimization. The researcher will participate in planning, designing and conducting highly technical synthetic chemical operations under the supervision of a Principal Investigator and will analyze research data, provide interpretations, contribute to the development of research documentation for publications and provide technical reports, papers and records.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Serves as a research trainee for the purpose of enhancing and developing research competencies.
- Participates in planning, designing and conducting highly technical and complex research projects under the direction of a supervisor. May or may not work independently.
- Identifies, researches, compiles and evaluates data sources, background information and technology related to the area of specialization.
- Synthesizes, purifies, and characterizes compounds.
- Develops Structure-Activity Relationships.
- Designs analogues for synthesis.
- Contributes to progress reports, grant applications and publications derived from project data.
- Operates and maintains scientific equipment.
- Maintains external awareness of scientific discipline through familiarity with current scientific literature.
- Observes appropriate safety requirements.
- PhD in Organic or Medicinal Chemistry.
- Strong synthetic organic chemistry background required.
- Keen interest in understanding the application of medicinal chemistry principles.
- Research experience in the field of specialization with advanced knowledge of equipment, procedures and methods of analysis.
- Ability to observe appropriate safety requirements.
- Competency in Microsoft Office Suites Products and other relevant software.
- Proven ability to work in a collaborative team environment.
- Candidates must currently reside in the United States.
WHAT YOU LOVE
We love being purpose-driven. We are eager to make significant contributions that directly improve quality of life. We love providing opportunities for our employees to grow and ensuring they maintain a good work/life balance. We celebrate all types of problem solving. We thrive when we act as a catalyst for change in all areas that we serve in their respective communities.
WHAT YOU DO WELL
We are cultivating Birmingham’s biotech scene with first-rate talent through cutting-edge science. We are great at translating research into innovation that impacts our world. We are smart, creative people always looking for a better way forward. We are excellent collaborators making our partnerships seamless. We are more boutique than our competition because of our deep expertise and agility.
WHAT THE WORLD NEEDS
People need both academic and CRO (contract research organization) because they need more than basic lab-for-hire services. They need both the guidance and knowledge base to help move their projects forward and to find answers where they currently do not exist. More end users, specifically Alabamians, need to trust the research and innovations being made in biotech.
WHAT YOU CAN BE PAID FOR
We secure funding from our customers, sponsors, and policymakers for our research and go-to-market strategies, but we become more nationally relevant when we narrow our focus in on our impact and humanization of scientific discoveries and breakthroughs.
2000 9th Avenue South
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert