Performs process development, scale up and production of new and existing chemical products and key intermediates. This requires in-depth knowledge of organic synthesis, solid-phase chemistry, nucleic acid and phosphoramidite chemistry, quencher and fluorescent dye chemistry and associated analytical methods.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Produces needed quantities of chemical products and key intermediates according to customer demands.
- Develops improved, optimized, cost effective and scalable processes for new and existing chemical products and key intermediates.
- Writes and maintains SOPs and batch records for the developed processes.
- Assists in monitoring and maintaining of the chemical products and key intermediates inventory.
- Supports oligo manufacturing with chemical intermediates when needed.
- Interacts with other departments to solve product or project problems and suggests improvements.
- Constructs and manages timelines for completion of milestones in areas of responsibility.
- Evaluates and analyzes data obtained from laboratory tests, interprets results and identifies problems.
- Maintains project documentation in accordance with internal company and external regulatory requirements.
- Conducts literature reviews, summarizes data and presents results for application to current or future projects.
- Performs all laboratory assignments in accordance with established safety procedures and applicable regulatory requirements and ensure that direct reports, if applicable, meet the same requirements.
- Assists in technology transfer for key intermediates outsourcing services.
- Assists in maintenance of NMR.
- Assists with related special projects, as required.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Initiative - works independently with little or no supervision; takes independent actions and calculated risks; asks for and offers help when needed.
Judgment ‐ ability to work independently; displays willingness to make decisions; exhibits sound and accurate judgment; supports and explains reasoning for decisions.
Oral Communication - speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions.
Organizational Support - follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values.
Planning/Organizing - prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently; sets goals and objectives; develops realistic action plans.
Problem Solving ‐ identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
Project Management ‐ coordinates projects; communicates changes and progress; completes projects on time and budget.
Quality ‐ Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; applies feedback to improve performance; monitors own work to ensure quality.
Reasoning Ability ‐ ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
Teamwork - balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit.
Written Communication - writes clearly and informatively; able to read and interpret written information.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Education and/or Experience
- Ph.D. in chemistry, biochemistry, or a related field. Alternatively, Master's degree in same field with 5+ years applicable experience and demonstrated working knowledge of scientific principles or Bachelor's degree in same field with 10+ years applicable experience and knowledge.
- Demonstrated technical proficiency, strong integrative analytical skills and scientific creativity.
- Experience in cGMP environment highly desirable.
- Maintains high level of knowledge related to current developments in scientific field of expertise.