When you are part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you will do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment, or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have a real-world impact, and you will support in achieving your career goals.
Position Title: Production Scientist I, Organic Synthesis Chemist
Location/Division Specific Information - Rockford, IL
As a new hire in this role you are eligible for a $1,000 Sign-On Bonus!
The Rockford Manufacturing site is a part of the Life Science Solutions Group within Thermo Fisher Scientific. Our laboratory equipment products are used primarily by pharmaceutical companies for drug discovery and development and by biotechnology companies and universities for life science research to advance the prevention and cure of diseases and enhance the quality of life. Our offering consists of equipment, accessories, and services for sample preparation, storage and protection, and analysis. If you believe in working the right way for the right reason join our growing team today!
All operations are conducted with an emphasis on safety and within the guidelines and requirements of ISO and 5-S / Lean production environments.
The chemist is responsible for efficient multi-step organic synthesis, purification and formulation at the small, medium and large scales to achieve production goals relative to Safety, Quality, Delivery and Cost. The chemist will often work under the guidance of senior personnel.
- Completion of weekly production work orders
- Process documentation is maintained in the form of batch record sheets, reports and lab notebooks and the technician must contribute to and foster the development of a healthy cooperative environment
- Assisting more senior chemists with their work
- Collection and bulking of hazardous waste for the Rockford site
- Using appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) including a respirator (when required)
- Perform the water and solvent washing of chromatography resins/gels
- Support large scale production (10, 30, 50, 100 and 300 gallon reactors). Loading reactors, drum handling, large scale solids handling, filtration and centrifugation.
- Support medium scale production (1 liter to 72-liter reaction flasks). Set-up and use of medium scale (22, 50 and 72 liters) glass apparatus, large scale rotary evaporation
- Perform analysis of compounds and reaction mixtures using common methods:
(HPLC, GC, MS, UV/VIS, FTIR, NMR, TLC, IR, GCMS)
- Involvement in process improvement and development of production and test methods
- Participate on cross-functional project teams
- Occasional assistance in other departments such as the formulations lab and packaging may be required
- Completing metrology work orders as assigned
- Other duties include cleaning, assembling and disassembling equipment, involvement in process development, occasional assistance in other departments such as the formulations lab and packaging
- Other projects / duties as assigned
- B.S. or B.A. in Chemistry, preferably from an ACS (American Chemical Society) accredited program
- A thorough understanding of chemistry at the undergraduate level
- Experience with general laboratory techniques such as distillation, filtration, closed transfer, reaction chemistry, crystallization, rotary evaporators, vacuum pumps/ovens and small/large scale glassware
- Analysis techniques such as TLC, pH, GC, GCMS, NMR, IR
- Ability to work with moisture sensitive materials
- Ability to safely handle flammable solvents
- Mechanical aptitude
- Ability to routinely lift 40 lbs
- Use moderately heavy equipment such as drum carts, gas cylinders, balances and filled carboys
- Must be flexible to work occasional off-shift or weekend hours as needed (most likely on a limited basis)
- Ability to travel as requested (most likely on a limited basis)
- Associates in this position may as part of their job activities generate or manage hazardous waste as defined by the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency
- Individuals in this position are required to receive initial hazardous waste training within the first 30 working days of assignment
- The initial waste training shall include but not be limited to the following general categories: identifying hazardous and solid waste, hazardous waste management, recycling, treatment and disposal, emergency preparedness and record keeping and pollution prevention and waste reduction
- Following initial training the Associate in this position will receive annual refresher training in the same topic field as listed above
- Proficient in PC applications, including Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
- Strong verbal and written communication skills for effective interpersonal interactions and to sell initiatives and proposals
- Good writing skills for preparing specifications, experimental plans, and operating procedures
- Must contribute to and foster the development of a healthy cooperative environment
- Must be a flexible team player capable of carrying multiple projects simultaneously and wearing many different hats depending on the situation and circumstances
- Advanced organic chemistry laboratory experience, preferred
- M.S. in Chemistry/scientific discipline is preferred, preferably from an ACS (American Chemical Society) accredited program; advanced organic chemistry laboratory experience
- Capable of learning other applications, such as Visio, Minitab, MRP, etc., as needed
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 100,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner, and safer.
This position has not been approved for Relocation Assistance.