We are currently recruiting for Chemist (s). This position reports to Manager Research & Development Inorganics US and is an on-site position located in Lake Charles, Louisiana.
Sasol is a global integrated chemicals and energy company with a 70-year heritage. Through our talented people, we use our expertise and selected technologies to safely and sustainably source, manufacture and market chemical and energy products globally.
When you join Team Sasol, you are joining a company that puts people at the center of everything we do. Sasol invests in its employees along every stage of the career path and offers development opportunities to help you cultivate your career in a culture that embraces diversity and inclusion.
Sasol is committed to promoting better, healthier lives for you and your family. Below is an overview of our benefits and compensation programs: • Medical, including prescription drug benefit, Dental and Vision (start day one of employment with no waiting period) • Retirement Pension Plan • Savings and Investment plan (401k) with eligible company match • Paid vacation and holidays • Disability benefits • Other special programs, i.e., EAP (employee assistance program), wellness, pet benefits, caregiver support benefit, Aflac, Legal Guard, and many others • Comprehensive compensation program
Purpose of Job
Provides a key supporting role in corporate growth and profitability improvement by skillfully executing the technical projects or program of a supervising scientist
- Responsible for safely conducting a broad spectrum of experiments under the direction of senior researchers in the laboratory and pilot facilities, for properly maintaining Sasol equipment, and for the generation and communication of reliable, properly documented data for lead scientists
- Provides technical support to lead scientists and research groups within R&D; leads focused technical initiatives within research group
- Understands technical requirements and recommends R&D objectives, defines what is needed in terms of equipment, etc. and sets appropriate project goals with supervisor and project teams to meet technical needs
- Responsible for integrity and operation of company equipment, and adherence to safety, health, and environmental procedures
- Responsible for understanding Sasol's procedures for securing intellectual property; responsible for appropriately recording laboratory results for use in developing intellectual property
- Develops and maintains relationships to guarantee effective cross-department collaborations and utilization of "Best Practices" for technologies within scope of job
- Priorities are established with technical lead/supervisor
- Demonstrates feasibility of technologies defined or developed by senior scientists within R&D
- Ensures efforts are aligned within research group
- May be assigned responsibilities of Product Steward or the R & D Waste Coordinator
- Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry or related science field or progression from the Associate Chemist position based on additional experience
- 2+ years of industrial research and development or plant experience preferred
Required Personal and Professional Skills
- Polymer, materials, or colloid science experience
- Compounding, glassware, analytical techniques on materials (SEM, mechanical property testing, rheology, BET, XRD, TGA, etc.)
- Experience with pressure vessels preferred
- Ability to define and implement ideas and solutions
- Highly mechanically inclined and able to conceptualize complex processes
- Strong mathematical/laboratory skills
- Computer competency in required software
- Good oral and written communications skill
Follow this link to learn more about Sasol and our 70-year journey https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4IYMbGKvyQ
Sasol (USA) Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, disability or protected veteran status, as well as any other characteristic protected by applicable law, regulation or local ordinance.
Sasol treats work-authorized job applicants equally in recruiting and hiring without regard to their citizenship status or national origin unless required by law, regulation, executive order, government contract, or determination by the Attorney General. Please note Sasol will not sponsor, obtain, and/or petition for temporary visa status (for example, E, F-1, H-1, H-2, L, B, J, or TN) for candidates for this position and/or personnel hired for this position.
We are not accepting unsolicited resumes from third-party recruitment agencies, therefore we will not a pay a fee for resumes submitted.