Assistant or Associate Professor of Biochemistry
(Full-time tenure-track faculty position, anticipated for Fall Semester 2022; Search Extended)
JVA #: 2021-28
DEPARTMENT: Department of Applied Science and Mathematics
School of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM)
POSITION SUMMARY: BSC is a PUI (primarily undergraduate institution) that focuses on teaching, with research training curriculum. This is a 9-month tenure-track position at the Assistant or Associate Professor level (rank depending on qualifications) starting August 2022. Applicants must have a Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Chemistry or a related field from an accredited institution that will complement the department’s research programs and mission. Our faculty are active teacher-scholars who value collaborations both within and across disciplines. The department seeks applicants who will engage in student mentorship and innovative course design that incorporates research-based curriculum using inclusive and equitable strategies. Must teach effectively using alternative modalities (e.g., on-line, video livestreaming, Moodle) in addition to a traditional classroom setting, and teaching assignments may include teaching in-person at the Bluefield and Beckley campus sites. This position will work as a team member on undergraduate program assessment and development. Appointment anticipated to begin Fall Semester, 2022.
RESPONSIBILITIES: All faculty positions include a minimum of a 12-credit teaching load (may include online, web-based, or interactive video instruction and/or courses at off-campus locations), academic advising, as well as participation in school committees and College governance. Responsibilities include the standard teaching load, however release time from a minority of course load is possible with adequate external funding. Courses to be delivered include, but are not limited to, the following: lower-level Chemistry courses and labs, lower- and upper-level Biochemistry courses and labs, or other related courses in the faculty member’s discipline. Assigned duties may require travel to the Beckley campus. Applicants are expected to establish an active research program that involves undergraduate students and apply for external funding. The successful candidate will demonstrate evidence of the potential for excellence in teaching, and dedication to College and community service.
All faculty are expected to:
- Take a supportive interest in the academic progress of each of his/her students.
- Meet with his/her classes as scheduled.
- Maintain adequate office hours as assigned so that he/she may be available to the students for conferences to assist students toward achieving student success.
- Participate in the faculty-student advisory program.
- Keep abreast of his/her academic discipline through continuing study, and/or active participation in his/her professional organizations.
- Continuously strive to improve the effectiveness of his/her teaching.
- Keep accurate records of grades and other information required by the Deans, Registrar, Provost, President and any other administrator as may be appropriate.
- Attend all faculty meetings of the college and the respective school in which the faculty teaches.
- Attend commencement and convocations and to cooperate fully with the BSC Board of Governors, the President, the Provost and the Dean in promoting the interests of Bluefield State College and the respective School.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS: Applicants must have an earned Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Chemistry or related discipline (with degree conferred no later than 5/31/22). An ability to effectively use alternative modalities (e.g., on-line, video livestreaming, Moodle) in addition to teaching effectively in a traditional classroom setting required.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: Experience teaching Biochemistry and lower-level Chemistry courses and labs at the college or university level. Grant writing, research award and grant management experience desired. Post-Doctoral research experience a plus.
COMPENSATION: Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. Position is dependent upon available funding.
THE COLLEGE: The mission of Bluefield State College is to provide students an affordable, accessible opportunity for public higher education. A historically black institution, Bluefield State College prepares students for diverse professions, graduate study, informed citizenship, community involvement, and public service in an ever-changing global society. More information about the College is available at www.bluefieldstate.edu
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Completed applications are to be submitted in electronic format only to firstname.lastname@example.org and must include:
- Letter of interest specific to the position;
- A completed BSC Employment Application (form available at https://bluefieldstate.edu/resources/human-resources/jobs);
- Resume/CV; Contact information for at least three professional references; and
- Transcripts (unofficial transcripts are acceptable for the application process; official transcripts will be required of the selected candidate).
Please do not include photographs or any personal information (e.g. D.O.B, place of birth, etc.) on your application or supporting documents.
DATE POSTED: December 15, 2021
CLOSING DATE: Position is open until filled. A review of applications will begin immediately. For full consideration, applications must be received by 4:00 pm EST, June 23, 2022. Applications will be accepted until position is filled; however, applications received after the deadline may not receive full consideration.
Bluefield State College is an HBCU, AA/EOE/ADA employer, committed to the principle that minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. The college complies with all applicable federal and state laws designed to promote equal educational and employment opportunities. Bluefield State College does not provide H1B visa or employment sponsorship.