This position is for a Research Scientist – Climate Change Solutions within the New Materials & Processes department of the Science & Technology Division of Corning.
In this role, you will be a part of a diverse team of scientists working together to invent materials and processes for climate change solutions. If you are excited about working with motivated, creative, and mission-driven scientists to invent solutions to help reach a carbon negative future, then this could be the job for you!
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Invent new materials and processes and capture intellectual property with patent attorneys
• Work closely with scientists, engineers, and technicians to develop and execute multi-disciplinary experiment and/or modeling plans, including close collaboration with the characterization sciences directorate
• Coordinate with and/or direct laboratory technicians to conduct experiments
• Stay up-to-date with relevant literature
• Write internal technical reports and external, peer-reviewed publications
• Present your scientific work internally and externally
• Collaborate with Corning’s Office of Sustainability and Climate Initiatives
Travel Requirements (please note if international): None
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: 40+, flex-time
• Technically curious, self-motivated, and able to work with minimal supervision
• Ability to come up and pursue your own ideas and solutions to scientific problems
• Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment
• Ability to earn the trust of others and build and maintain positive professional relationships
• Have a track record of presentations and publications demonstrating the ability to identify an important problem, conduct experiments or modeling to address the questions, and put the results in context (i.e. what was learned and why does it matter?)
• Ability to adapt to changes in priorities and focus as projects evolve
• Strong communication skills (verbal and written)
• Able to manage multiple priorities at once
Education and Experience (minimum required for consideration):
Ph.D. required, in Earth or Atmospheric Sciences, Chemistry, Materials Science, Physics, or related fields
Soft Skills (Communication/Team/Leadership):
• Strong organizational and collaboration skills
• Ability to interact with multiple levels in the organization with open communication (Laboratory technicians, Scientists, Management)
• Comfortable with ambiguity, multitasking among multiple projects, and a strong desire to learn and contribute
This position supports immigration sponsorship.
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.