Battelle delivers when others can’t. We conduct research and development, manage national laboratories, design and manufacture products and deliver critical services for our clients—whether they are a multi-national corporation, a small start-up or a government agency.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
We are currently seeking an Analytical Chemist II to work in our Columbus, OH facility.
- Develop and validate methods to quantify small molecules in biological matrices in support of exploratory and Good Laboratory Practices (GLP) studies
- Conduct experiments utilizing a variety of mass spectrometry analysis techniques including, but not limited to LC-MS/MS, GC-MSD; determine appropriate acceptance criteria, conduct technical data reviews, analyze and interpret data collected, form conclusions, and write/review technical correspondence and technical reports.
- Troubleshoot complex laboratory problems; provide new perspectives to existing solutions. Develop innovative testing and/or analysis methods to improve results and/or the efficiency of the process.
- Conduct and/or lead a variety of small research/technical projects or phases of technical projects. Provide technical direction to and coordinate the efforts of small teams of scientists and technical support staff in the performance of assigned projects within time and budget constraints.
- Identify new technologies, assays, techniques to drive business.
- Operate laboratory instrumentation
- Prepare and make technical presentations to client meetings and conferences, both formal and informal.
- Oversee, train and mentor junior staff
- Assist with proposal efforts. Prepare technical sections of proposals. Prepare cost and schedule estimates on proposed projects for chemistry
- Demonstrates knowledge of theory by creatively troubleshooting and correctly interpreting results with to resolve technical challenges.
- Performs complex analysis to check accuracy, applicability, and reasonableness of project work to meet project technical requirements and laboratory data quality objectives.
- Ensuring compliance to in-house specifications, standards and Good Laboratory Practices
- Maintaining, calibrating, and cleaning equipment to specifications.
- Follow all safety guidelines while working around hazardous materials.
THE FOLLOWING IS REQUIRED
- Applicant must be a US person for export purposes.
- Bachelor’s degree plus 2 yrs experience, Master’s or PhD and post degree exp, in analytical chemistry, with experience in industrial environment or post-doc experience.
- Demonstrated experience using chromatographic systems such as gas chromatographs (GC) or liquid chromatographs (LC) coupled with mass spectrometry (MS) systems.
- Demonstrated experience working with advanced MS systems such as tandem (MS/MS)
- Proven experience with operation, calibration, and maintenance of MS instruments and interpretation of data.
- Proficient in standard wet chemistry sample extraction and cleanup techniques.
- Demonstrated experience with quantitative chemical analysis
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Incumbent must successfully pass medical screening, including the ability to wear personal protection equipment (PPE) and work with highly hazardous materials
- Must be willing to work in a biological sample matrices.
- Must be willing to participate in random drug screening
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED
- Understanding of GLP/GMP and ISO regulations
- Work around hazardous materials may be required and would be performed by following all safety guidelines to minimize exposure
The above statements are intended to describe the nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, activities and skills required of staff members. No statement herein is intended to imply any authorities to commit Battelle unless special written permission is granted by Battelle’s Legal Department.
Battelle’s benefits program supports employees so they can be at their best at home and at work. It’s a comprehensive package including:
- A benefits concierge service to help you understand and use your benefits
- Paid parental leave and family formation support
- A holistic wellness community and employee assistance program offering physical, mental, financial, legal and family support
In compliance with President Biden’s Executive Order 14042 and the Safer Federal Workforce Task Force COVID-19 Workplace Safety: Guidance for Federal Contractors and Subcontractors, Battelle requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment and continued employment and to provide documentation that they are fully vaccinated. Battelle will provide reasonable accommodations based on a qualified disability or medical condition through the Americans with Disabilities Act or the Rehabilitation Act or for a sincerely held religious belief under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (and related state laws).
Battelle is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. If a reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact email@example.com.
Battelle is an equal opportunity employer. We provide employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, veteran-status veteran or military status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable Federal, state, or local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers