The University of Kansas Institute for Sustainable Engineering is seeking a well-qualified postdoctoral researcher to support an industry sponsored proprietary research project focused in the areas of phase-equilibrium thermodynamic and transport property measurements. The successful candidate will possess excellent experimental and analytical skills as well as strong oral and written communication abilities and be able to work in a hands-on, collaborative, and energetic environment.
This is a one-year limited term position. Position is located on-site at the Lawrence campus. U.S. work authorization is required prior to candidate's start date.
60% Research - Design and execution of experiments
• Analyze proprietary systems using various measurement techniques including but not limited: to gravimetric microbalances, volumetric view cells, high-pressure vapor-liquid equilibrium apparatus, high-pressure density and viscosity, thermal conductivity, gas chromatography analysis, Karl-Fischer analysis, etc.
• Design and construct new laboratory equipment
• Data modeling and simulation
20% Reporting - Write reports and papers
• Writes technical reports and scientific papers for peer reviewed journals.
• Present oral and written technical results to industry partners to convey scientific progress
• Prepare manuscripts for peer-reviewed publication
• Assist in writing grant proposals to achieve funding goals for future research
15% Collaboration - Assist other laboratory members with experiments
• Assist the principal investigator to provide experimental and technical supervision of one or more students
• Train new students and research personnel on experimental methods
• Mentor undergraduate and graduate students conducting research projects
5% Laboratory protocol - Routine lab management
• Develop standard operating procedures and safety protocols for laboratory
• Ensuring systems are in place for efficient planning of lab supplies, records, and document management
1 PhD in chemical engineering, physical chemistry, mechanical engineering, physics, or related fields
2 Demonstrated experience in moderate and high-pressure experiments
3 Demonstrated experience with sampling and GC analysis
4 Demonstrated experience in thermodynamics
NOTE: To be appointed at the Postdoctoral Researcher title, it is necessary to have the PhD conferred at the time of hire. Appointments made without a diploma or certified transcript indicating an earned doctorate are conditional hires and are appointed on an interim basis not to exceed 6-months. Upon verification of degree the appointment will be extended to its full duration.
1 Demonstrated experience mentoring graduate and undergraduate students
Additional Candidate Instructions
A complete application will include the online application with a detailed curriculum vitae, a cover letter, and the names and contact information for three (3) references.
Application review begins on July 11, 2022 and will be ongoing until a qualified application pool has been identified.
Contact Information to Applicants
Mark B. Shiflett, firstname.lastname@example.org
Advertised Salary Range
$52,000 - $58,000 commensurate with experience
Monday - Friday, 8a - 5p
Application Review Begins
Monday, July 11, 2022
Anticipated Start Date
Monday, July 25, 2022