The Roy J. Carver Department of Biochemistry, Biophysics, and Molecular Biology at Iowa State University in Ames, Iowa, seeks a tenure-track Assistant Professor with expertise in cryo-electron microscopy (cryo-EM) to establish a vibrant, externally funded research program of international prominence. The Iowa State Office of Biotechnology has recently established a state-of-the-art cryo-EM facility through a large philanthropic gift from the Roy J. Carver Charitable Trust. The facility, directed by an experienced facility manager, Dr. Puneet Juneja, houses a Thermo Scientific Glacios Cryo TEM equipped with a Gatan K3 Camera. The successful candidate will have priority access to this facility as part of the start-up package. In addition to the Cryo-EM facility, the Iowa State campus offers exceptional structural biology, biophysical, and computational resources that have been developed as part of an ongoing Structural Biology Initiative at ISU.
The successful candidate will join a supportive and collaborative campus featuring world-class research from diverse biological disciplines, with strength in biomedical, agricultural, and biorenewables research. The candidate will be expected to build a research program applying or developing cryo-EM and complementary techniques to study fundamental biological questions. Candidates must hold a Ph.D. or equivalent degree with demonstrated expertise in the area of cryo-EM structural determination. The successful candidate will also be expected to participate in graduate and undergraduate teaching.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- Ph.D. or equivalent in biochemistry, biophysics, chemistry, physics, or related field Expertise in structural biology using cryo-EM
- Potential to establish a vibrant, externally funded research program using cryo-EM A strong publication record in internationally recognized journals Potential to attain excellence in teaching at the graduate and undergraduate levels Ability to work with students from diverse backgrounds Evidence of collaborative research interest or experience Evidence of research mentoring experience
Department/Program & College Description:
The Roy J. Carver Department of Biochemistry, Biophysics and Molecular Biology (BBMB) is a collaborative and collegial community of over 100 faculty, students, post-doctoral researchers, and staff conducting fundamental research on a wide range of biochemical topics. Over the past 10 years, the department has undergone a major expansion of its structural biology expertise, with six new faculty hires and a large investment in structural biology infrastructure, including cryo-EM. The department administers multiple undergraduate and graduate programs in biochemistry and biophysics. Our faculty also participate actively in multiple interdepartmental graduate programs. BBMB is jointly administered by the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (CALS) and the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (LAS). Both colleges are committed to the recruitment, support, and mentorship of early career investigators, as well as accommodation of dual-career couples.
Proposed Start Date:
January 1, 2023
Number of Months Employed Per Year:
09 Month Work Period
To apply for this position, please click on “Apply” and complete the Employment Application. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. However, to receive full consideration, applications should be received by 9/30/2022. All interested, qualified persons must apply for this position online at jobs.iastate.edu to Job Requisition Number R9184. Please be prepared to enter or attach the following:
- A cover letter briefly describing the candidate’s interest in the position, qualifications including prior cryo-EM experience, and future research interests (up to two pages)
- Curriculum vitae (CV)
- A brief research statement describing prior research accomplishments and future research (up to five pages)
- A statement of teaching interests and qualifications, including information on the candidate’s ability and commitment to working with students from diverse backgrounds (one page)
- Contact information for three references
For questions regarding the application process, please contact Dipali Sashital at firstname.lastname@example.org or Mark Hargrove at email@example.com.
Why Choose ISU?
Iowa State University is committed to fostering a workplace of belonging, where diversity is celebrated and equity is a core value. Our Iowa State Employees enjoy comprehensive health and work-life benefits, including medical and dental; as well as:
• Retirement benefits, including defined benefit and defined contribution plans;
• Generous leave plans;
• Onsite childcare (Ames, Iowa);
• Life insurance and long-term disability;
• Flexible Spending Accounts;
• Various voluntary benefits and discounts;
• Employee Assistance Program;
• Wellbeing program.
Original Posting Date:
August 1, 2022
Posting Close Date:
September 29, 2022
Job Requisition Number: