Office: U.S. Army Combat Capabilities Development Command – Chemical Biological Center
Location: Edgewood, MD
Requisition No: 06.27.2022
Job Title: Fermentation Scientist
Key Words: biology, laboratory, research, fermentation, biological production, scale-up, bioprocessing
Excet, Inc. is seeking to hire a fermentation scientist with at least 2 years of experience in biological product scale-up/fermentation processes. This position involves various skillsets related to both biological production, downstream processing (i.e., spray dryer, lyophilization, centrifugation, separation chromatography, distillation, filtration, etc.) and requires dedicated problem-solving/keen attention to detail. In addition to designing and executing fermentation runs, the candidate will optimize fermentation processes and media to scale up the production from pilot scale (1L to 1500L). The successful applicant will possess a demonstrated aptitude and experience for working both independently and in collaboration with other team members, as this position can span multiple disciplines to include biologists, chemical engineers, material scientists, etc.
Required Skills, Qualifications and Responsibilities:
- B.S. or M.S. in biology, chemistry, or related field experience
- Ability to assist in the development of new bioproduction processes
- Experience developing and executing robust fermentation processes to make a variety of biologically derived materials
- Operating lab and pilot scale fermentation equipment (up to 1500L)
- Assist in downstream processing (spray dryer, lyophilization, centrifugation, separation, distillation, filtration, etc.)
- Support technology transfer of processes
- Document in laboratory notebooks, authorship of technical reports and standard operating procedures
- Interact as part of an interdisciplinary team
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills for audiences with varying technical backgrounds
- Effective time management skills; self-starter; attention to detail
- Ability to independently design and execute experiments; critical thinking/problem solving
- Full vaccination against COVID-19, and compliance with the Company’s vaccination verification procedure, is required for this position, unless the individual is legally entitled to a reasonable accommodation.
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- Analytical chemistry experience
- Demonstrated ability to quickly learn and apply topics outside their area of expertise
Type of Position: Full-Time; Exempt
Travel: <5% or Occasional Travel Required
Excet, Inc. is a growing research services firm specializing in science and engineering.
Excet, Inc. offers a collaborative team culture where you can use your skills and experience to advance your career and make a difference. We’re looking for intellectual curiosity, a high level of comfort with complexity, and a desire to work in a wide range of challenging environments. We continue to attract and retain the best workforce in the field.
The company specializes in finding the right people for any research, engineering, or project management challenge. We offer an employee benefits package and overall cost structure that attracts and retains the highest quality of employee.
If you have talent, experience, and a desire to advance your career, come join our team.
Excet, Inc. is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity and participates in E-Verify