The Applied Research (Principal Material Scientist) position focuses on scientific research, test method development and testing of new products, and advanced materials. This position will lead the development of material structure/property relationships needed for new advanced and sustainable material development and understanding. Knowledge generated through this work will contribute to Bridgestone's transformation to a sustainable solutions company, based on the Bridgestone E8 Commitment. Targets for this initiative include (1) increasing the use of recycled and renewable materials to 40% of its resources by 2030 and achieving 100% by 2050; and (2) reducing CO2 emission by 50% in 2030 and achieving carbon neutrality in 2050. A Principal Professional position is a recognized master in a professional discipline typically obtained through advanced education and work experience. Requires frequent communication and interaction with leadership.
- Recommends strategic/operational plans for developing and implementing new products and processes that will impact achievements of functional results
- Recommends and implements continuous improvement/automation activities
- Coordinates and oversees the execution of complex projects across multiple business units in the areas of sustainable/renewable materials and "tire to rubber" and "tire to raw material" recycling technology.
- Identifies beneficial material structure/property relationships and makes recommendations for more optimal molecular structures
- Research potential new technologies, products, and test method development by developing and testing theories on the physical, chemical and/or biological properties of materials and ingredients under various conditions
- Devises research methods, prepares technical specifications, and specifies laboratory test equipment and processes
- Makes recommendations concerning acquisition and use of new technological equipment and materials
- Supports the company's IP portfolio by drafting and reviewing invention disclosures, supporting the development of patent applications, and providing technical expertise to the legal department
- Coordinates pilot-plant or initial production runs on new products or processes
- Supports relationships through strong communication and negotiation skills with internal and external stakeholders
- Analyzing and drawing conclusions and recommendations regarding topics related to existing regulations and customer requirements around raw materials and products.
- Other duties as assigned
- Experience in the tire and/or rubber goods industry.
- Significant technical knowledge of rubber chemistry and rubber materials.
- Experience with or working knowledge of chemical regulatory compliance (ex. TSCA, ECCC, Prop 65, REACH, GADSL) and environmental sustainability.
- Typically requires a minimum of 12 years of related experience with a bachelor's degree; or 8 years and a master's degree; or a PhD with 5 years of experience; or equivalent work experience
- Experience collaborating and leading cross-functionally and cross-culturally on teams composed of technical and non-technical members.
- Demonstrated ability to understand technical and regulatory information and communicate that information at a high level to a wide variety of audiences, including leaders within the company.
- History of developing intellectual property.