The Material Scientist or Senior Material Scientist position focuses on scientific research and testing of new products and advanced materials. This position is expected to contribute to the development of new polymers for tire applications by generating structure/process/property relationships for polymers in rubber compounds. The successful candidate will be expected to develop experimental designs, conduct experiments, analyze experimental results, and communicate results with stakeholders.
• Collaborates with polymer synthetic chemists to develop new polymers for tire applications by conducting experiments to determine performance attributes of the polymers in various rubber compounds.
• Utilizes principles of design of experiments to develop structure/property relationships needed to understand the performance of new polymers in rubber compounds for tire applications and makes recommendations for optimizing polymer structures
• Collaborates with tire development engineers to understand needed technology for tire compounds that meet the needs of end-use customers
• Utilizes statistical analysis to understand the impact of different compositional and process variables on rubber compound properties
• Develops rubber processing parameters consistent with tire manufacturing capabilities to support the commercialization of new polymers for tire applications
• Contributes to efforts to secure intellectual property for the business
• Coordinates efforts to support experimental tire builds and testing
• Supports relationships through strong communication and negotiation skills with internal and external stakeholders
• Material Scientist position requires a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in polymer science, material science, chemical engineering or a similar degree and two years of experience or an advanced degree without experience. Senior Material Scientist requires a PhD in polymer science, material science, chemical engineering or a similar degree.
• Experience with the development of rubber compounds especially for automotive tire applications
• Experience in applied computing skills, including statistical analysis applications (e.g., JMP, Minitab), basic programming (excel macros)
• Experience with elastomeric materials and understanding of principles of polymer viscoelasticity