Axalta is seeking an experienced Dispersion Scientist with a strong background in milled pigments, colloidal science, and color technology tools to join our global Research and Development organization. The Senior Scientist works with the wide range of milled pigments used in these various products in support of Axalta’s coatings businesses. The Chemist will work very closely with the R&D teams as well as resources in product management and manufacturing to identify dispersion needs and develop technical solutions. The Chemist will be visible to a wide range of global stakeholders and experts; ability to communicate effectively across multiple functions and organization levels is required.
The successful candidate will join Axalta’s Global Innovation Center (GIC) in Philadelphia, PA. The GIC group develops high performance coatings for the Transportation, Refinish, and General Industrial markets.
- Develops new or improved dispersions, including formulation, stability/durability testing, and pigment selection for automotive, performance and industrial coatings.
- Applies statistically designed experiments and six sigma methods to conduct research and validate results.
- Supervise technician(s), organize work flow, including setting and meeting key deadlines.
- Participates in creation of novel analytical techniques for dispersion testing and qualification.
- Networks with global business, marketing, manufacturing, sourcing and technology personnel to maximize effectiveness of technical programs and implement results.
- Networks with suppliers of critical color / dispersion materials (such as pigments and dispersants).
- Networks with external resources in academia, professional societies and customers to gather and apply information to technical and business objectives.
- Minimal travel required
- MS or PhD degree in Materials Science, Chemistry or Chemical Engineering with at least 5 - 15 years of experience in pigments, dispersion process, or formulations.
- Demonstrated ability to get results.
- Effective written and oral communications to multiple levels of the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to bring a strategic perspective to complicated issues, with a data-based approach and analysis tools.
- Demonstrated ability to perform efficient experiments to identify issues, develop relationships and validate results. Must be able to interpret, analyze and apply numerical color and appearance measurements.