Moffitt Cancer Center is internationally recognized for our focus on personalized cancer care and translational research. The mission of Moffitt is clear, focused, and fully stated in nine words, "To contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer." With a tradition of excellence that began with the first patient admission in 1986, dedicated Moffitt physicians, scientists, and staff members have remained committed to excellence in an atmosphere characterized by kindness, caring, and hope. The Core Facility at the Moffitt Cancer Center is seeking a talented and motivated individual to join the Chemical Biology Core as a Staff Scientist in Tampa, FL.
The primary responsibility of this position is to conduct research and development in synthetic organic chemistry and medicinal chemistry in collaborative Drug Discovery and Chemical Biology research projects and maintenance of state-of-the-art NMR instrumentation. Responsible for designing, synthesizing, chemical analysis and purification of small molecules and generating experimental reports in multiple projects. Experience in effectively managing synthetic and medicinal chemistry strategies at the project level to ensure the timely delivery of project milestones is required. Successful candidates should have demonstrated advanced knowledge of synthetic and medicinal chemistry applications (e.g. Schrodinger docking), chemical biology principles, theories and concepts to design and troubleshoot medicinal chemistry projects for the research community. In addition, ability to lead medicinal chemistry projects, chemistry manuscripts, and support grant applications (e.g. provide preliminary data) via collaborative efforts with principal investigators is essential. Interacting and training junior staff/postdoctoral researchers for projects and high-end instrument is essential.
Broad working knowledge of synthetic organic chemistry, multi-step synthesis of small molecules and applications of analytical chemistry (NMR, HPLC and Mass spectrometry) to conduct chemistry research in a drug discovery and chemical biology environment is essential. Additionally, this position requires providing expert assistance in the synthesis of focused compound libraries/chemical probes. Must possess strong synthetic organic chemistry skills, excellent communication and problem-solving skills and positive interaction with a diverse group of research staff, faculty and vendors inside and outside the institution and a proactive attitude in a service provision.
Credentials and Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree with 12 years of relevant experience or Master’s degree with at least 5+ years' experience in synthetic chemistry, medicinal chemistry, chemical probes, or synthesis of biologically active compound or PhD. in Organic Synthesis with 3 years post-doctoral experience in multi-step synthesis, small molecule synthesis, purification, and analytical chemistry skills.
- Expertise in modern synthetic organic chemistry
- Experience related to synthesis of chemical probes for chemical biology applications
- Gram-scale synthesis of small molecules with > 99% purity by analytical methods.
- Candidates must demonstrate strong synthetic chemistry background with experience in modern synthetic/medicinal chemistry (e.g. use of microwave reactors)/purification techniques with automated purification systems (e.g. Isolera purification system).
- Strong chemical analysis experience using NMR, HPLC-MS and Mass Spectroscopy, ideally demonstrated via peer reviewed publications/patents.
- Experience in using Chemdraw, Schrodinger, Scifinder, Reaxys,
- Outstanding communication skills and teaching/training experience of junior chemists during PhD and postdoctoral training
- Values and Expectations
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Proactive and self-motivated
- Strong interpersonal skills
- High learning agility and curiosity to learn and adopt new technologies
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail and a focus on quality results
- Self-aware; seeks ways to improve personal and scientific skills
- Has the courage to take on ambitious goals and move forward at pace