Analytical Biochemist - Postdoctoral Researcher
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Livermore, CA, USA
Job Code 1: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: Not applicable
Pre-Employment Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Referral Bonus: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States' security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory's mission.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to advance antimicrobial discovery and de novo chemical characterization in a dynamic forensic research environment. Multi-drug resistant (MDR) microorganisms pose a serious, imminent threat to public health and safety and biosecurity. To identify novel antimicrobials using an innovative approach, we will exploit the chemically rich environment of intensively cultured industrial marine environments. You will advance the identification of unknown chemicals through sample preparation and activity-based fractionation, analysis and structural elucidation by high-resolution LC-MS and other advanced analytical techniques, metabolomic data mining, and interpretation of the results. You will become an integral member of LLNL's Forensic Science Center (FSC), a dynamic, diverse, and multi-disciplinary team conducting research focused on pressing national security problems for a wide variety of United States Government agencies. Together we will pioneer a new antimicrobial discovery pipeline focused on understudied marine systems emerging as potentially prolific sources of novel antimicrobials. This position is in the Forensic Sciences and Assessments group of the Nuclear and Chemical Sciences Division.
In this role you will
• Advance the identification of unknown chemicals through bioassay-guided fractionation and state-of-the-art LC-MS and LC-NMR techniques.
• Assess antimicrobial activity of biologically derived chemical extracts by assaying multi-drug resistant organisms.
• Apply various ‘omics' techniques to maximize the information obtained from LC-MS-based analyses.
• Collaborate closely with several external research partners in the areas of microbiology, select agent chemistry, biosecurity, and proteomics.
• Design and conduct research, pioneer experimental methodologies, interpret complex data, and be responsible for presenting results.
• Communicate effectively (verbally and written) in a multidisciplinary team environment.
• Author technical and scientific reports and publications and deliver scientific presentations.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
• PhD in Chemistry, Biochemistry, or related field.
• Experience with data mining and analysis of ‘omics data types (metabolomics, metagenomics, proteomics, etc.); applied mass spectrometry and/or other advanced analytical chemistry skillsets (e.g., NMR); or biochemistry or analytical chemistry sample preparation, such as solid phase extraction, chromatography, etc.
• Willing to handle multi-drug resistant organisms (RG2/BSL2) after appropriate training.
• Interpersonal skills necessary to interact professionally and productively with a diverse set of scientists, engineers, and other technical and administrative staff.
• Verbal and written communication skills evidenced by published works and presentations.
Qualifications We Desire
• Prior experience with operating LC-MS and/or NMR instrumentation.
• Prior experience with basic sample biochemical sample preparation such as metabolite extraction, concentration, separation, and other manipulations.
• Prior research experience in metabolomics or proteomics and the interpretation of experimental ‘omics data.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years. Eligible candidates are those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
• Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
• Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
• Comprehensive https://www.llnl.gov/join-our-team/benefits
• Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
• Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our https://www.llnl.gov/join-our-team/careers/events-resources
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0472.2-BOrder-chg2-pgchg
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our https://www.llnl.gov/join-our-team/careers/accessibility
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed https://www.llnl.gov/join-our-team/careers/privacy-statement
For full application instructions and position description, visit https://apptrkr.com/3396344
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.