The Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry at Illinois Wesleyan University (IWU) invites applications for a full-time, tenure track faculty position. Successful applicants must have a PhD in chemistry or a closely related field by the start date (August 2023). Preference will be given to those with expertise in bioanalytical chemistry. Postdoctoral experience is preferred. The primary responsibility will be to teach undergraduate courses in analytical chemistry, an upper level capstone laboratory course for chemistry/biochemistry majors, general chemistry and biochemistry. The typical teaching load is three credits per semester. Applicants are expected to participate in experimental research, preferably engaging undergraduate students, provide academic advising to students, participate in department and university service and are encouraged to seek external funding,
Founded in 1850, IWU is a highly competitive small liberal arts institution located in Bloomington, IL. IWU is strongly committed to recruiting, supporting and fostering a diverse, inclusive and civil community of outstanding faculty, staff and students. We seek candidates who have a demonstrated commitment to supporting and further building our community in these dimensions. IWU is an EEO Employer.
The position includes a competitive salary, excellent benefits, start-up funds, laboratory space for research and a one semester junior faculty leave to support scholarship in preparation for tenure. The provost’s office provides generous travel funds to attend both research and pedagogical conferences. The department prides itself on close student-faculty interactions and the research opportunities provided to students. More information about the department can be found at https://www.iwu.edu/chemistry/
The twin cities of Bloomington-Normal, just 2 hours southwest of Chicago, provide a vibrant and diverse community and offer a great quality of life.
Interested applicants should send a complete application, preferably as a single pdf document to firstname.lastname@example.org (Subject line: IWU Faculty Position). A complete application packet will comprise:
1) a “Cover Letter” (2 pages) that addresses your experience relevant to teaching at an undergraduate liberal arts institution, involving undergraduates in your research, and integrating teaching, writing and critical thinking skills in courses.
2) “Curriculum Vitae” (up to 4 pages).
3) Unofficial undergraduate and graduate transcripts
4) “Research Plans” including how you will incorporate undergraduate students into your research program, equipment and instrument needs (up to 5 pages)
5) “Teaching Philosophy” (up to 3 pages) that includes a clear statement on how you would promote diversity and inclusivity in the classroom, and how research, teaching, and/or service has provided preparation for contributing to our commitment to address issues of race, gender, sexual orientation, disability, and/or other issues of history marginalization.
(6) Applicants should arrange to send three letters of reference directly to email@example.com
By providing three letters of reference, you agree that we may contact your letter writers.
Review of complete applications will begin on September 29, 2022 and will until continue the position has been filled.