Division and Unit Overview
The mission of the ACS Education Division is to serve learners and educators by building communities and supporting innovative, relevant, and effective chemistry education and professional development. The strategic objectives of the ACS Education Division reflect the responsiveness of the Division in fulfilling the vision, mission, and values of ACS and meeting the needs of the changing chemistry enterprise. The ACS Approval Program administers the process of ACS Approval for undergraduate programs in the chemical sciences as well as the ACS Recognition for global programs in the chemical sciences. The office supports faculty members at these institutions by providing data and resources needed to ensure a comprehensive undergraduate experience in the chemical sciences.
The candidate will be responsible for leading day-to-day operations associated with the ACS Global Recognition Program, creating and sustaining community (internal and external to ACS), program development, and strategic oversight. The candidate will also serve as the Education Division lead for the ACS on Campus (ACSoC) Program, working with collaborators (internal and external to the Education Division) to recommend content, facilitate connections and to contribute to the development of ACSoC strategy. Post-COVID, travel will be required (approximately 2-3 trips per year).
Work design: Works with team, independently, and under general direction from manager. Identifies and recommends solutions to a variety of routine and non-routine problems. Creative, strategic, collaborative, flexible, adaptable, and political approaches are essential in this position. Program administration will accompany the creative and strategic responsibilities.
- Responsible for strategic direction, growth, and evolution of the ACS Recognition program for International Institutions, in addition to its alignment and cohesion with the other audiences and programs under the umbrella of ACS Approval Program Office.
- Develop and facilitate training and other programmatic endeavors with members of the ACS Committee on Professional Training. Work with leaders from that committee to establish processes and procedures associated with the review of international applications for recognition.
- Serve as the Education Division lead for the ACS on Campus (ACSoC) Program.
- Create, encourage, and support the various academic communities served by the office including faculty members and department leads. Create and support community among faculty members on a global scale.
- Connect and collaborate with members of the Education division, other units of the Society, ACS global teams, ACS international staff, and other professional societies to work intelligently and efficiently with other entities.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of programs, products, and services that are offered through the office (and by other parts of the Society who cater to the same audiences) to propose changes, enhancements, or discontinuation.
- Participates in other projects and endeavors as assigned/needed.
Master’s degree in the chemical sciences (Ph.D. preferred), or equivalent experience, required. Candidate must have experience in higher education, preferably as the instructor of record for undergraduate courses. Candidate must be comfortable using and exploring new technology and with knowledge of or experience with project management and development. Other necessities include the ability to thrive in a team environment while also being able to work independently; strong interpersonal and relationship building skills, clear and concise writing and presentation skills. Cultural/global awareness and experience is highly desirable.
This position will be primarily based in the Washington D.C. (or applicable) office. ACS employees work a hybrid work schedule, consisting of working onsite, three days per week. ACS employees are in the office on Tuesday and Wednesday with the third in-office day scheduled in consultation with the manager. While always welcome to work in the office, employees may work the other two days of the week from a location of their choice. New employees are immediately eligible for this hybrid work arrangement. ACS offers relocation assistance, if applicable.