The Linfield University, Department of Chemistry (www.linfield.edu/chemistry/index.html) invites applications to fill a full-time tenure track faculty position at the rank of Assistant Professor beginning July 1, 2023. Opportunities for teaching in interdisciplinary courses and programs are available. Experience with or willingness to develop expertise in Argument Driven Inquire (ADI) and Process Oriented Guided Inquiry Learning (POGIL) teaching pedagogy preferred. Successful applicants will be expected to establish a scholarly research program involving undergraduates, and to participate in the full range of faculty responsibilities, including academic advising and service on committees. Start-up funds will be available to help initiate a research program.
- Teach lecture and laboratory sections of science majors' courses in inorganic chemistry, general chemistry, and other courses as departmental needs dictate.
- Collaborate with other members of the Chemistry Department in the delivery of the Chemistry major and assist in maintaining the department's certified ACS major.
- Collaborate with other members of the Chemistry and Biology Departments in the delivery of the Biochemistry and Molecular Biology major.
- Develop opportunities for and mentor students in undergraduate research.
- Maintain research program or otherwise pursue professional achievement beyond teaching and community service in Materials or Inorganic Chemistry.
- Assist students as an advisor in academic and career planning.
- Perform the normal responsibilities of a faculty member at a liberal arts college, including helping with student recruitment and retention.
- Ph.D. in Chemistry with an emphasis in Inorganic or Materials Chemistry awarded by May 2023; postdoctoral experience is desirable. Thorough grounding in theory and practice of inorganic/materials chemistry is necessary; experience with instrumental methods is an asset. College teaching experience, including lecture and laboratory instruction beyond the teaching assistant level, is strongly preferred. Strong commitment to teaching at the undergraduate level. Demonstration of commitment to continual improvement of lecture and lab courses and participation in undergraduate research. Ability to relate well to colleagues, students, and staff in a small college/university setting.
To apply, please complete the online application process at http://linfieldfaculty.applicantpool.com/jobs/ and attach the following documents as ONE PDF document. Review of applications will begin October 14, 2022, and the position will remain open until filled.
- Cover Letter explaining how this position would be an excellent fit for both the applicant and Linfield University Curriculum vitae Transcripts (copies are acceptable for application, original transcripts upon hire) Statement of teaching philosophy, including approach to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) in the classroom Detailed description of research plans Contact information for three professional references (including a brief explanation of how you have worked with each reference and/or the specific aspects of your professional work to which each reference can speak most knowledgeably).
Inquiries should be directed to Dr. Brian Gilbert, Search Committee Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Linfield University is an independent, coeducational comprehensive university that combines a strong emphasis on the liberal arts with a commitment to professional and interdisciplinary programs. Linfield offers high quality academic programs and emphasizes strong support for individual students with a favorable student-faculty ratio of 11 to 1. The University is historically affiliated with the American Baptist Churches, U.S.A. and is committed to the principles of academic and religious freedom. Linfield is fully accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities. The McMinnville, Oregon campus includes 79 buildings on 189 acres. A second campus, home to the School of Nursing, is located in northeast Portland. The Portland, Oregon campus includes 11 buildings on 20 acres. A third program, Linfield University Online and Continuing Education, offers students the opportunity to pursue coursework, degrees, and certificates online. Enrollment totals more than 1,900 with students coming from 24 states and 23 countries. Linfield is ranked 1st among liberal arts colleges in the Pacific Northwest for ethnic diversity of students according to the 2018 US News & World Report. You and your dependents will have access to our Athletics Complex, including two weight rooms, racquetball courts, a basketball court, swimming pool, track, and indoor and outdoor tennis courts, and a 1.5 mile outdoor wellness trail. For those who are sports enthusiasts, you and your dependents can attend all Linfield athletic events on campus for free (except NCAA playoffs). Additional perks include 20% merchandise & clothing discount at our Barnes & Noble Bookstore, and a Starbucks conveniently located on campus.
We Value Diversity: Linfield University is actively engaged in promoting, advancing, and confirming our commitment to diversity and inclusion. We believe that a diverse and vibrant Linfield contributes to academic excellence and critical thinking. We welcome applicants who bring a diversity of identity, culture, experience, perspective, and thought. All candidates are encouraged to address how their professional and lived experience, scholarship, teaching, mentorship, and/or service will build on our diversity and inclusion efforts.