Xavier University is part of the 500-year-old Jesuit Catholic tradition of academic excellence in the liberal arts and is strongly committed to enhancing equity, inclusion, and diversity. These values are central to our mission. We strive for a climate of respect and inclusiveness that welcomes and supports members from diverse backgrounds and life experiences, is committed unreservedly to open and free inquiry, and deliberately seeks out multiple perspectives.
Xavier University invites applications for a tenure-track, Assistant Professor of Chemistry, starting in Fall 2023. The successful candidate will contribute to our new Biochemistry major by teaching biochemistry and lower-division chemistry courses and developing a productive biochemistry research program involving undergraduate students.
Xavier’s urban location in Cincinnati allows faculty to work with community partners to develop engaged learning and internship opportunities. Xavier is a member of the Association of Jesuit Colleges and Universities as well as the Big East.
Xavier is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment; we welcome a broad spectrum of candidates, and particularly invite applications from women, ethnic and racial minorities, and other individuals who are under-represented in the work force.
- Teaching laboratory and lecture courses in biochemistry and other courses as needed.
- The development of an active biochemistry research program involving undergraduate students.
- Service and participation in the life of the Department and the University consistent with the mission of Jesuit higher education.
- Ph.D. in Biochemistry/Chemistry or a related field.
- A proposed research agenda that can be carried out at a Primarily Undergraduate Institution (PUI).
- Experiences that demonstrate a commitment to excellence in student-centered teaching and active learning.
- Ability to interact effectively with students, colleagues, university administrators, and the community.
- Post-doctoral research and/or post-graduate teaching experience.
- Experience working with diverse faculty, staff, and students, and contributing to a climate of inclusivity.
To ensure consideration, qualified/interested applicants must submit a cover letter, resume and the names and contact information of three professional references on Xavier University's website by October 28, 2022. Candidates are asked to include with their cover letter a brief statement on how they might support/contribute to Xavier’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Xavier University requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Newly hired employees will be required to provide vaccination status upon on-boarding. Vaccine exemptions may be granted for medical or religious reasons.
Xavier University offers a wide array of complementary and affordable benefit options, to meet the financial, educational, health, and wellness needs of you and your family. Eligibility varies by position and employment class.
- Comprehensive insurance plans including medical, dental, vision, and prescription coverage
- Tax advantaged accounts including health savings account, flexible spending accounts, and dependent care account.
- Financial security via life and long-term disability insurance, accident and illness insurance, and retirement savings plans.
- Generous paid time off work options including vacation, sick leave, and holidays.
- Tuition remission for employees and their eligible dependents.
Xavier University is an Equal Opportunity employer committed to enhancing equity, inclusion, and diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, skin color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
To apply, please submit a dossier that includes a cover letter, a current curriculum vitae, a teaching philosophy statement, a research proposal, a statement on your experiences with diverse populations, and the contact information for three professional references on Xavier University's website. Recommendation letters will only be requested from short-listed candidates.
For questions regarding this position, please contact Richard Mullins, Chair, Department of Chemistry, at email@example.com.