FACULTY VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
The Department of Chemistry (https://www.lehman.edu/academics/chemistry/) at Lehman College of the City University of New York (CUNY) invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track position in Environmental Analytical Chemistry at the Assistant Professor level, to begin in August 2023.
The successful candidates will be expected to:
Maintain an active, externally-funded research program involving undergraduate and/or graduate students;
Be committed to excellence in teaching and mentoring students of diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds, using novel evidence-based educational techniques to support students’ active learning and technical competency as well as aiding students development of cognitive skills to become self-learners;
Devote a portion of her/his time to engaging in departmental, college, university and community service, which a specific focus on:
a. serving as a student advisor;
b. being actively involved in the department’s assessment efforts,
c. assisting with curriculum development, program certification and other curricular efforts.
Of particular interest to us are candidates whose research is in experimental chemistry with a focus on analytical and/or environmental efforts. Interdisciplinary collaborations within the department, college and university are strongly encouraged. The successful candidate is expected to help the Department of Chemistry to build a stronger Environmental Chemistry presence and will demonstrate that their research both complements the department's existing research programs and will further expand research opportunities at the interface of environmental-based applications.
Ph.D. degree in experimental Chemistry with a focus on analytical, environmental, atmospheric, green chemistry or nanotechnology is desired.
To be considered qualified for this position, the applicants must have:
• A strong commitment to and demonstrated potential for effective teaching. Teaching responsibilities may include undergraduate lecture and laboratory courses in the field of expertise, as well as introductory chemistry courses
• The ability to teach both lecture and laboratory courses using student-centered, active learning and inquiry-based approaches at the undergraduate level
• A record of research productivity and/or evidence of the potential to supervise undergraduate and/or graduate level students in research in Analytical Chemistry with a focus on Environmental Chemistry or closely related fields
• A demonstrated potential for developing and sustaining an independent externally funded research program involving under graduate and/or graduate students leading to peer-reviewed publications
• The ability to communicate effectively with an economically, ethnically and culturally diverse campus population
Our department is especially interested in qualified candidates who can contribute through their research, scholarship, teaching and service to the diversity of the academic community and to creating a welcoming climate for students of all races, genders, and nationalities. We also expect such a candidate to strive in realizing the institutional vision of Lehman College, and to demonstrate professionalism and collegiality when working with others within the department.
Candidates will be required to provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon commencing employment. Exemption (medical or religious) requests to this requirement will be considered in accordance with applicable law. Being fully vaccinated is defined for this purpose as being at least two weeks past their final dose of an authorized COVID-19 vaccine regimen. Final candidates must be fully vaccinated as of their first day of employment.
CUNY offers faculty a competitive compensation and benefits package covering health insurance, pension and retirement benefits, paid parental leave, and savings programs. We also provide mentoring and support for research, scholarship, and publication as part of our commitment to ongoing faculty professional development.
Health Plan Coverage for Employees Hired on or after October 1, 2022 City of New York employees and employees of Participating Employers and their eligible dependents hired on or after October 1, 2022 will only be eligible to enroll in the EmblemHealth HIP HMO Preferred Plan and must remain in the HIP HMO Preferred Plan for the first year (365 days) of employment.
After 365 days of employment, the employee will have the option of either remaining in the HIP HMO Preferred Plan or selecting a different health plan within 30 days before the end of the 365th day period.
If a new health plan is selected, the new plan will be effective on the 366th day.
Only after the 365th day can the employee participate in any Annual Fall Transfer Period. An employee who needs to request an exemption from the required enrollment in the HIP HMO Preferred Plan can do so by submitting a HIP HMO Opt-Out Request Form to EmblemHealth. An employee, or eligible dependent, must meet certain criteria and the request must be approved by EmblemHealth before the exemption is granted. The HIP HMO Opt-Out Request Form and HIP service area are available on the EmblemHealth website.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, go to www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
CUNY Jobs - Assistant Professor - Chemistry in Bronx, New York, United States
Candidates should provide:
• A cover letter addressing their qualifications for the position (including a statement describing their potential contributions and approach to meeting the Lehman college’s vision for its graduates)
• A curriculum vitae
• A teaching statement that includes the following: teaching philosophy and any relevant teaching experience (3-page limit)
• A research statement that includes the following: research experience, research plans and research goals, description of projects specifically designed to engage undergraduate students, mentorship plan for involving under graduate and/or graduate students in research, and strategies to obtain external funding (5-page limit)
• A list of three references with relevant contact information
The review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.