Assistant/Associate Teaching Professor (Professional Track) - General and Analytical Chemistry
Department of Chemistry, NC State University
Raleigh, North Carolina
The Department of Chemistry is seeking to fill a Professional Track Teaching position beginning January 1, 2023, or August 16, 2023.
This Assistant/Associate Teaching Professor position will primarily instruct lecture and laboratory courses as determined by Departmental scheduling.
Teaching responsibilities for this position can include lecture courses at the undergraduate level in General Chemistry and Analytical Chemistry. Teaching responsibilities may also include the coordination of (TA supported) laboratory courses in General Chemistry and Analytical Chemistry.
Rank is commensurate with education & experience.
Course responsibility involves the following:
• Presenting engaging course content that fulfills student learning outcomes
• Developing appropriate assessments (exams, quizzes, homework)
• Grading assessments with TA support
• Holding office hours
• Preparing content for and coordinating TA activities for recitation sections
• Maintaining an up-to-date course platform (e.g. Moodle)
• Creating assignments in learning management systems
• Determining and posting course grades
• Oversight and management of the chemistry demonstration room (supports Departmental instruction)
• Coordinating TA activities and safety oversight in General and Analytical Chemistry laboratory courses
Outside of teaching, the Assistant/Associate Teaching Professor is expected to serve on Departmental committees and serve as an academic advisor to undergraduate Chemistry majors. This position reports to the Department Head.
Inclusiveness and diversity are integral to NC State’s commitment to excellence in research, engagement, and education. We are particularly interested in candidates who have demonstrated experience engaging with diversity through activities such as fostering an inclusive environment, working with students from diverse backgrounds, or incorporating diverse perspectives in research.
Candidates should apply at http://jobs.ncsu.edu under position number 00109675. In addition to your application, please submit the following:
• Cover letter,
• Curriculum vitae,
• Brief statement of teaching philosophy
• Diversity statement (Upload as Other Document 1). This diversity statement should address how you may have developed or anticipate developing a welcoming and inclusive environment in your classroom and describe other diversity and inclusion initiatives. You may also attach student/peer evaluations as an optional “Other Document (2)”.
Reviewing of applicant materials will begin on November 9, 2022, and the search will remain open until the position is filled.
If selected as a finalist, applicants will be contacted with a request to provide letters of recommendation. Final candidates will be required to submit two letters of recommendation.
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran. Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process are welcome to contact 919-515-3148 to speak with a representative at the Office of Institutional Equity and Diversity.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
To apply, go to: https://jobs.ncsu.edu/postings/172493