The Department of Natural Sciences at the University of Michigan-Flint invites applications for a tenure-track position at the assistant professor level, open to all areas of Chemistry. Candidates must have a Ph.D. in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Green Chemistry, or some related field. Successful applicants will need to articulate their interest in teaching undergraduate courses, engaging undergraduate students in their research program and contributing to an inclusive scholarly community.
The department is especially interested in qualified candidates who can contribute, through their research, teaching, and/or service, to the diversity and excellence of the academic community.
The Green Chemistry and Biochemistry discipline has seven full-time faculty and offers undergraduate degrees in ACS-certified Green Chemistry B.S., ACS-certified Biochemistry B.S., along with a Chemistry B.A. degree. Faculty in our programs provide engaged instructions and mentorship to our students through a combination of course-work and faculty-led research projects. Faculty are provided with ample research space in addition to access to a variety of chemical and biological science instrumentation including ICP-OES, GC-MS, LC-MS, Bruker 400 MHz NMR, HPLC, Spectroscopic Instrumentation (UV-vis, Fluorimeter, FTIR), Potentiostats, standard and real-time PCR, cell culture facilities, cell imaging and microscopy instrumentation, and more. For other specific discipline information please visit our website at: https://www.umflint.edu/cas/chemistry-biochemistry/
- Candidates must have a Ph.D. in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Green Chemistry, Medicinal Chemistry, or some related field
- Candidates must show potential for developing a self-sustaining research program
- Evidence for excellence in teaching with the ability to communicate effectively with students, consistent with CAS standards
- Capacity for engaged service at Department, College, University levels, and their profession and community
- The ability of the candidate to add intellectual and inclusive diversity to the department, to work successfully with diverse students and colleagues, and to mentor diverse students and junior colleagues
Applications must include a cover letter describing the candidate's qualifications and interest in this position; curriculum vitae; unofficial undergraduate and graduate transcripts; a statement of teaching philosophy; a statement of research plans; a statement of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion that includes a commitment to teaching a diverse student body; and three references with contact information.
Review of applications will begin December 1, 2022 and continue until the position is filled, with an anticipated starting date of September 1, 2023.
In addition to a career filled with purpose and opportunity, The University of Michigan offers a comprehensive benefits package to help you stay well, protect yourself and your family, and plan for a secure future.
- Generous time off
- A retirement plan that provides two-for-one matching contributions after 12 months of eligible service, with immediate vesting.
- Many choices for comprehensive health insurance.
- Life insurance
- Long-term disability coverage
- Flexible spending accounts for healthcare and dependent care expenses
- Eligibility for benefits is based on your job group, your appointment percentage and the length of your appointment. Learn more about employee benefits and eligibility and download the Comprehensive Benefits for Faculty and Staff flier.
For tuition support information can be found at: https://www.umflint.edu/hr/benefits/
Information about our vision, mission and values can be found at: https://www.umflint.edu/chancellor/leadership-mission-vision/
The University of Michigan-Flint’s DEI plan can be found at: https://www.umflint.edu/dei/
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third-party administrator to conduct background checks.