West Texas A&M University, a member of The Texas A&M University System located in Canyon, Texas, invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position in Chemistry (65% teaching, 30% research, 5% service). This full time (9 month) position at West Texas A&M University will include responsibilities in teaching (minimum 9 ACH/semester), research, and service supportive of the chemistry, biochemistry, physics, and healthcare programs. Teaching duties will include existing or new courses within the successful candidate's area of expertise at the undergraduate and graduate levels, particularly relating to areas of general chemistry, physical chemistry, and quantum mechanics. The successful candidate is expected to conduct research relevant to their field of expertise, preferably in the area of physical chemistry; collaborate with other faculty on relevant projects; attract and secure extramural funding, publish in quality peer-reviewed journals, attend professional meetings, provide academic advisement to undergraduate and graduate students, engage students in research, and develop and deliver effective educational programs to the community.
The Texas A&M System strives to maintain a competitive, high-quality benefit package to support the health and wellness needs of our diverse workforce. This includes comprehensive health and welfare insurance plans, additional health and lifestyle programs, and optional retirement savings opportunities. Eligible employees will have access to paid leave programs in addition to 13-15 paid holidays each year.
- Teaching undergraduate and graduate courses relating to general, physical chemistry, and quantum mechanics.
- Developing a dynamic research program by attracting new grants and opportunities that would allow undergraduate and graduate student participation.
- Conducting professional service for the institution, academic field, and community.
- Recruiting students for the undergraduate and graduate programs in Chemistry & Physics.
- Advising students on matters of degree plans, course scheduling, and other academic matters
- An earned Ph.D. in Chemistry from an accredited institution. ABD will not be considered.
- Demonstrated experience and excellence in teaching related to chemistry.
- Willingness to teach a minimum of 9 adjusted contact hours (ACH) per semester.
- Competency in research as evidenced by publications in genuine peer-reviewed journals (full citations to be provided in CV, with DOI if applicable).
- Demonstrated experience in seeking/obtaining extramural funding (including documentation of awards and amounts to be listed in the CV).
- Excellent quantitative, technological, and communication skills.
- Teaching and research expertise in physical chemistry.
- Expertise with modern techniques of general and physical chemistry as applied to teaching and research.
- Demonstrated ability and skills in leadership, mentoring, and building teamwork.
- Experience in developing collaborative research with other scientists, research centers and/or agencies and organizations.
Please include the following with your application:
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Three references
If you need assistance with uploading documents, please contact WTAMU Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Texas law requires all males age 18 through 25 to be properly registered with the Selective Service System.
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institution’s verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institution’s procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
West Texas A&M University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.