Requisition Id 9481
We are seeking a part-time Chemical Laboratory Technician. The successful candidate(s) must possess the skills and technical capabilities required to perform detailed tasks involved in the upkeep of environmentally sensitive and controlled laboratory spaces and as well as the performance of routine analytical protocols on specimens which contain radiological constituents from environmental levels to high levels of radioactivity. This position will support ORNL scientific staff conducting research and chemical operations associated with the stewardship of nuclear materials and R&D for nuclear fuels and production of isotopes. This position resides in the Nuclear Analytical Chemistry (NAC) Section’s Chemical and Isotopic Mass Spectrometry (CIMS) Group in the Chemical Sciences Division (CSD), Physical Sciences Directorate (PSD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL).
- Independently perform analytical laboratory work once trained to established procedures for titrations, dissolutions, dilutions and separations.
- Housekeeping of environmentally sensitive and controlled laboratory spaces as well as the removal of wastes resulting from analytical processes.
- Obtain and maintain all ORNL training requirements for a radiation worker performing analytical work a radiological facility.
- Perform all duties while adhering to applicable radiological guidelines and procedures for conducting work within smear clean C-zone laboratories and open and closed port glove boxes.
- Maintain training requirements and qualification for ORNL Radiation Worker II.
- Maintain strong commitment to the implementation and perpetuation of values and ethics.
- Associate Science degree in physical or life sciences or related technical area; a HS/GED degree and 2 years of experience in a technical laboratory performing analytical processes will also be considered.
- Experience working in cleanroom laboratories with low level radioactive materials.
- Experience conducting analytical measurements on low level radioactive materials.
- Ability to work both independently and in a high-performance team environment.
- Ability to work and communicate effectively in a team environment.
- Possess a working knowledge of ESH&Q requirements applicable to chemical research.
- Motivated and safety conscious.
- Proficiency with Windows based personal computers for instrumentation operation and Windows Office suite for data reporting, analytical calculations, and sample management.
Work involves various physical requirements and working conditions. As such, a pre-hire physical will be required after offer.
This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain an HSPD-12 PIV badge.
This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a clearance from the Department of Energy. As such, this position is a Workplace Substance Abuse (WSAP) testing designated position. WSAP positions require passing a pre-placement drug test and participation in an ongoing random drug testing program.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.