Toxicology Group Leader (Laboratory Research Supervisor 2)
Budgeted Salary Range: $66,600 - $96,200/Year
Apply By Date: 12/07/2022 RECRUITMENT PERIOD ONE MONTH: Applicants will be screened after two weeks; and then on a weekly basis. The position can be filled prior to the removal date.
Under general direction, as a Toxicology Group Leader, be responsible for all of the work performed by the group for the prevention, diagnosis, treatment and investigation into animal toxicoses including coordinating work assignments, diagnostic testing, method development, and quality assurance/control. Responsible for the performance of inorganic and organic analyses to determine industrial and naturally occurring toxicants and nutritional components in animal tissues, biological specimens, animal feed, food, and source material. Provide accurate test results for minerals, metals, protein, and other constituents of animal feed and feed ingredients. Supervise the receiving process in Toxicology. Work with the Section Head and Laboratory Manager to ensure that samples are received, stored, and logged in correctly and that any issues are communicated to the Section Head and/or clients in a timely fashion. Supervise the activities of personnel dedicated to the receiving process. With the Section Head and Laboratory Manager, be responsible for the management of regulatory agency programs including coordinating work with agency personnel and other laboratories, ensuring that analytical work is performed in a timely fashion, and that data quality goals and agency reporting requirements are met.
RECRUITMENT PERIOD ONE MONTH: Applicants will be screened after two weeks; and then on a weekly basis. The position can be filled prior to the removal date.
Initial placement will be between $66,600 – $96,200/annually, commensurate with educational background and relevant working experience.
• Experience in the development and validation of inorganic analytical chemistry methods.
• Significant expertise in all aspects of inorganic analytical chemistry, particularly as it is applied to analysis of biological samples and animal feed, including sample digestion techniques and instrumental analysis.
• Organizational skills including scheduling workload, maintaining standard turnaround times, and adapting to changing environment and workload.
• Skills to communicate well with clients such as veterinarians and regulatory agency personnel in order to initiate and manage ongoing programs.
• Skills to train, supervise, evaluate the performance, perform conflict resolution for staff supervised and effectively manage an analytical laboratory group as well as to communicate effectively with supervised personnel and Section leadership clearly communicating expectations and requirements.
• Skills to operate and obtain maximum performance from ICP, ICP/MS and AA type instruments and other instruments as needed.
• Knowledge and skills to follow safe working practices and to instruct and monitor same for all personnel supervised.
• Significant experience in speciation analysis for chemicals related to mercury, arsenic, and others in various types of samples.
• Working knowledge of organic chemical analytical methods including sample preparation and analysis.
• Knowledge of quality assurance practices as they apply to accreditation standards such as ISO-17025.
The University of California has implemented a SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program SARS-CoV-2 Vaccination Policy (ucop.edu) covering all employees. To be compliant with the policy, employees must submit proof of vaccination or a University-approved exception or deferral.
This position is a critical position and subject to a background check. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of background investigation including criminal history and identity checks.
UC Davis is a smoke and tobacco free campus effective January 1, 2014. Smoking, the use of smokeless tobacco products, and the use of unregulated nicotine products (e-cigarettes) will be strictly prohibited on any UC Davis owned or leased property, indoors and outdoors, including parking lots and residential space.
To view full job description and submit an on-line application visit UC Davis Career Opportunities at
Job ID # 45497
The University of California, Davis is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer