Position: Battery Scientist
Reports To: Director of Battery Technology
Coreshell Technologies, Inc. is unlocking the true capacity and economics of batteries. Our mission is to provide the fastest path to transforming the battery industry so that clean energy solutions can be deployed on a global scale. We’re accomplishing this with our uniquely scalable thin-film coating process that solves battery electrode surface instability - a fundamental problem that is at the root of capacity and safety issues in nearly all rechargeable batteries. Our coatings can dramatically reduce battery manufacturing costs while improving cycle lifetime, energy density and safety for both state-of-the-art as well as next-gen battery chemistries.
Position: Looking for an experienced Battery Scientist with a strong background in battery materials, systems, and electrochemistry to assist our thin-film development for advanced battery chemistries (Si-anodes, Solid-state/Li-metal).
- Design, manage, and operate Coreshell’s in-house battery construction including slurry mixing, electrode fabrication and final cell assembly.
- Collaborate closely with Coreshell’s CTO, Senior Scientists, and other technical team to ensure proper fit between Coreshell’s coatings and battery materials design. Recommend adjustments to coating compositions and physical/electrochemical properties to mitigate interfacial degradation across various battery chemistries.
- Work across multiple battery systems (NMC, NCA, Graphite, Silicon, etc.) to ensure proper baseline performance in state-of-the-art as well as next generation battery chemistries.
- Manage Coreshell’s battery testing and qualification program, including data collection.
- Ph.D. or equivalent in Battery-related Chemistry, Materials Science, Engineering or a similarly relevant field. 2+ years of commercial experience post-Ph.D. graduation strongly preferred.
- Strong background in fabrication and design of lithium-ion battery systems from basic materials and components (electrode powders, slurries, electrolytes, casings etc.) to full cell design in a variety of formats (coin cell, pouch & cylindrical).
- The ideal candidate will have a deep understating of parasitic interfacial reactions between electrode active materials and liquid and solid electrolytes. In particular, experience working with oxide and sulfide solid-state electrolytes is desired.
- The ideal candidate will have significant experience in root cause/failure analysis in state-of-the-art and next-generation lithium-ion batteries.
- Strong materials-level knowledge of battery electrodes and knowledge of electrochemical characterization techniques such as EIS, CV, GITT, etc. Knowledge of industrial standards for battery materials, processing, and testing protocols is highly desired.
- Substantial experience characterizing materials using standard techniques such as AFM, SEM, TEM, XRD, XPS, FTIR, Raman, etc.
- Creative, self-driven, “out-of-the-box” thinker with a long history of problem solving and an ability to wear many hats. The ideal candidate will have a track record of meeting timely technical milestones as well as achieving commercially-relevant product performance targets.
Location & Benefits: San Leandro, CA. Full-time. Salary and equity options depend on experience. Dental, vision, healthcare and 401(k) benefits are included. Applications will be screened as received.
Target start date: ASAP
Thank you for your interest in joining our team!