Are you ready to change the world? Apply now!
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, NY seeks a Chemical Hygiene Officer (CHO) to oversee and manage its Chemical Safety Program. The Chemical Hygiene Officer serves as a technical expert who develops and implements chemical management policies and procedures, educates the campus community about safe chemical practices, and ensures compliance with federal, state, and local requirements.
Candidates must possess:
- Bachelor's Degree in a discipline related to the duties of the position
- Five (5) years of experience in a laboratory or environmental health and safety, preferably in an academic or research environment
- Valid NYS Driver’s License
The successful candidates will demonstrate the following
• Working knowledge of OSHA laboratory standards
• Ability to write procedures and plans that specify requirements or work process requirements for handling of hazardous materials or work safety steps.
• Ability to identify hazardous materials, package materials for transport and accurately complete a shipping manifest.
• Knowledge of proper procedure for responding to emergencies involving hazardous chemical exposures.
• Ability to provide training to other personnel on Environmental Health and Safety practices and programs.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Windows or other technical tools in completing assignments.
• Ability to apply expertise in all the tools or applications used to complete work assignments and training.
• Ability to influence and coordinate laboratory activity across Rensselaer Portfolios, resolve problems in a timely manner, and develop alternate solutions when necessary.
• Ability to communicate clearly and courteously with those who need to know of decisions/actions/problems.
• Ability to modify communication style both formal and informal to match the appropriate level of the audience targeted.
• Ability to read, analyze, and interpret regulations and scientific guidance, along with perform basic mathematical calculations (percentages, proportions, area, etc.).
Planning, organizing and effective time management skills.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
The following additional qualifications are helpful, though not required:
- 40 hour HAZWOPER certification
- DOT Hazardous Material Shipping Training Certification
- Experience in radiation and laser safety in an academic or research environment
Relevant combinations of education, training and experience will be considered.
To Apply: Follow the on-screen prompts at https://careers.rpi.edu/en-us/job/493657 to create a brief application. Please be ready to upload your resume and cover letter
If you need assistance with the online application process, please contact email@example.com
Rensselaer requires all faculty and staff to be vaccinated (and boosted when eligible) against COVID-19. Requests for exemptions for medical or religious reasons will be evaluated on a case by case basis.
Why Rensselaer? Our dynamic global community of changemakers includes some of the world’s leading researchers, students, alumni, and faculty who ask the important questions and devise the scientific and technological innovations that make the world a better place for all of humanity. Nestled on a beautiful 275-acre campus in upstate NY, Rensselaer is home to five schools, 32 research centers, three makerspaces, an observatory, and one of the world’s fastest supercomputers.
Rensselaer faculty and alumni include more than 145 National Academy members, six members of the National Inventors Hall of Fame, six National Medal of Technology winners, five National Medal of Science winners, three astronauts, and a Nobel Prize winner in Physics. With nearly 200 years of experience advancing scientific and technological knowledge, Rensselaer remains focused on addressing global challenges with a spirit of ingenuity and collaboration. To learn more, please visit www.rpi.edu.
We welcome candidates who will bring diverse cultural, ethnic, national and international perspectives to Rensselaer’s work and campus communities. Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity, Race/Gender/Veterans/Disability Employer.