The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences at Eastern New Mexico University (ENMU) invites applications for a full-time tenure-track Assistant Professor of Biochemistry, starting August 2023. The chemistry program at ENMU offers both Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees, and the undergraduate degree program is approved by the American Chemical Society. Classrooms and labs are available in the Science building and Roosevelt Science Center (RSC). RSC is currently being remodeled (ca. $22 million), and classroom and laboratory space there is expected to be ready by Spring 2024. Salary is based on qualifications and experience. Review of completed applications will begin February 6, 2023 and continue until position is filled.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teach lectures and labs for biochemistry and related courses at the undergraduate and graduate level, as assigned.
- Develop a research program, supportable through the NIH-funded New Mexico IDeA Network for Biomedical Research Excellence (http://www.nminbre.org/index.php/research-project-program/overview), involving both undergraduate and graduate students, and seek external research funding.
- Collaborate as needed with faculty and students in other programs, including Animal Science, Biology, Environmental Science, and Forensic Science.
- Maintain appropriate service to the department, college, and university
- Perform other duties as assigned
Minimum Job Requirements:
- Ph.D. in biochemistry, chemistry, or a related field is preferred, and ABDs will be considered.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to advise and teach a diverse student body
- Commitment to collaboration and working as part of a team to visualize, plan, deliver, assess and redirect programs as needed
- Ability to involve students, undergraduate and graduate, into ongoing research
- Ability to apply for and secure external research funding
- Commitment to department, college, and university service
Physical Demand and Working Conditions:
• Work is sedentary in nature with 25 pounds of maximum weight to lift and carry
• Work during normal work hours and may include weekend and evening hours
• Work requires reaching, handling of objects with hands and/or fingers, talking, and/or hearing, and seeing
• Work may involve exposure to health hazards through the use of chemicals and instruments in the teaching and research laboratories
Date Available: Open Until Filled
Condition of Employment: Must pass a pre-employment background check.
Electronic Application Instructions: Electronic applications should be submitted through the "Apply" link on the top of this page. Please attach the following required documents to your electronic application:
Letter of interest
Teaching philosophy (one page) and Research Plans (two pages)
Contact information for three references (Blind reference call will be made on applicants who become finalist for the position)
Transcripts (unofficial for application purposes)
ENMU is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. The University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected status in its programs, activities, or employment. People seeking additional information about the University's non-discrimination policy should contact the Affirmative Action Officer Jessica Small at (575) 562-2218. Individuals with disabilities requesting an accommodation can call the office of human resources at (575) 562-2115. For any other inquires please contact Human Resources at (575) 562-2115 or e-mail ENMU.HRrecruiter@enmu.edu